65mm Super Angulon E6.. Fall is comin in the south.

golden

<p>well its almost here, the fall colors, still not here yet, probably be a couple of more weeks, went down to one of my favorite spots to shoot, the place is called cherokee lake, in the summer the place is packed with picknickers and kids running around chasing the ducks, today... no one, not a soul. here are a few images shot with the 65 SA 6x9 film back. </p><div>00Ue4I-177627684.thumb.jpg.31b2e08d2b9304a2fe2b28d1d6582c9f.jpg</div>

<p>the park used to be open year round, you could go there day or night, but thanks to some idiot vandals that liked painting grafilthy on everything the state put up a gate that closes at dusk and at the end of october its closed until march. </p><div>00Ue4M-177629584.jpg.4a615ee60c98eddc7741a1c31f36cabb.jpg</div>

<p>Very nice, and the Petzval is always welcome. :)</p>

<p>I was out in our local forest here on the 38th parallel, there's hardly a sign of change in the trees. Wet spring and cool summer. Crops are not ripe yet either, and the farmers are getting worried.</p>

<p>thanks JDM, the summer here has been very wet, rained often, everyone is expecting a very colorful fall, really first time in several years, actually the leaves last year were kind of ugly, never did really peak, kind of turned a greyish color then fell off. </p>

<p>John, the Super Angulon 65 f8 is one of my favourite lenses. I use it on a MPP VII 5x4 camera. It just about covers with a small amount of front rise possible. There is a fair amount of vignetting on to 5x4 but I quite like the effect of this. I made a special board for mine with an inset rising panel so that the bellows stiffness did not prevent movement. Of course back tilts can also be used. My example is about 1960 and very sharp with excellent colour. Here is a shot I took with it using Provia 100 and a 0.6 ND Grad.</p><div>00Ue9M-177703584.jpg.5c11f63002d2fd13f98bb8f3135638e0.jpg</div>

<p>John, yes it is on 4x5. The SA 65mm f8 justcovers 4x5 but the SA 47mm f8 and f5.6 only cover 6x9. I have often tried to get a 47mm for use with 6x9 but am always outbid ...grrr.<br>

The only SA 47mm that will stretch to 4x5 is the current SA XL 47mm but that costs a lot more. There is a SA XL 38mm which covers 6x9.<br>

It is good to see we share a liking for the SA 65mm. Never had a go with a Petzval though. Looks fun!<br>

Dan, my shot above is of the 'Cutty Sark' clipper ship preserved in dry dock in Greenwich, London, UK. The ship was seriously damaged by fire recently but is now being restored. The gear used (MPP Microtechnical Mk VI 5x4 camera, SA 65mm f8 Super Angulon lens, Grafmatic back) are all 1960's vintage.</p>

<p>that is really a beautiful shot, i read that it wasnt wise to shoot 4x5 color with the 65 f8 but your shot disproves that for sure, i will have to get some 4x5 chrome and give it a try. my 47 f8 will almost cover 6x12 but not quet. its awsome on 6x9 though. </p>

<p>Lightroom's "lens correct/vignette" fixes SA vignetting better than the filter. <br>

Just got a virtually perfect 47/8 from Bay ($400 seemed fair), mounted it on my Century Graphic... Century lacks focus lock and fine focus, but infinity proves perfect with the front standard aligned precisely to the front edge of the back rails. I've used Centuries on and off for 40 years. I wish somebody made a better ultralight folding 6X9 :-)<br>

...hard to focus in any but full daylight...Toyo 4x magnifier's a lifesaver.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>John & John, always wanted one of those SA 47mm lenses but never manged to get one. Probably outbid by John K!</p>

<p>No centre filter used, John G, just the soft edge 0.6 ND Grad to darken an already gloomy sky. I quite like the vignetting effect of these wide angles and as John K says it can be easily corrected with software. I think the only place I would think about the centre filter is when using a panoramic camera where the vignetting would look a bit strange. </p>