Camera and Lens in a bag...

shaloot

<p>Hello!<br>

Is it ok to point the camera with lens down inside a camera bag? I see diagrams for various bags showing the variety of ways a bag could be configured, and some of them show the camera facing down. There's no harm to the lens or mount?<br>

I just got a lowepro ex180 from a friend and I'm starting to play around with the configurations and all. There are so many dividers!<br>

Anyways, any input is appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>You might want to be sure to keep a lens cap on, just in case, so the front element doesn't get anything rubbed into it if it should happen to touch the bottom, but other than that it should be fine. When I used an SLR I used to do the same all the time...</p>

<p>- Randy</p>

<p>No problems what so ever so long as the weight isn't extreme. I don't hang my 70-210/2.8 around my neck without supporting the lens a bit even hanging downward (and certainly not pointed forward without any support under the lens). Okay, on occasion for a moment I've left that lens unsupported when hanging down around my neck.<br>

No real issue about unsupported weight until your looking at a really heavy lens. Now something like a 600/4 might cause some issues if nothing is supporting the weight of the lens.</p>

<p>Other than weight on the lens hood or some such, no problem. Some older bags used to have little "shelves" for the sides of the camera so it could be put in lens down and supported.<br>

I'm guessing no one actually carries a 600mm, lens down :). They'd need "deep pockets" for that, for sure, in more ways than one.</p>

<p>There's nothing wrong to storing the camera lens-down in the bag, supported by the body. That's precisely how many LowePro professional shoulder bags are configured. I prefer this configuration because the camera is quicker to deploy, and a bag that is taller vs wider is easier to carry. Tamrac and most other pro bags carry the camera horizontally with the lens cradled. Either way works, so it's a matter of preference.</p>

<p>For small bags, I don't think you can even store it in a different way. The dividers will support the body except if the lens is very long - in that case I just make sure it's zoomed/focused to its shorter length.</p>

<p>Put it in any way you can retrieve the camera and lens combo fast. Try the quick drawer and the quick stow and see what works. I put the my basic combo deal in without a lens cap and with a hood ON.. if it doesn't fall out with the flap open as you walk, then, you have passed square one and are good to go. Cameras in my bags are usually flat in length for some reason. Bagging cameras is a whole semester course I am convinced. Have fun with all those dividers you got. Oh yes, One other thing= You don't <strong>have</strong> to use them all Somm!.ciaio. gs</p>