Best inexpensive Carbon fiber tripod/ball head for D700

stephen_fassman

<p>I'm not going to say that anyone on this thread is WRONG for suggesting expensive or high-end tripods. There is no doubt, they are much better than the cheaper options.</p>

<p>However, you need to ask yourself "how often and in what situation will I use this item". Tripods are one area where it is very easy to spend a TON of money on something that only gets pulled out every so often.</p>

<p>You have some of the best lenses produces by nikon, you owe it to your huge outlay to get the most out of them buy not skimping on the tripod. Tripods may not be as 'fun' to spend money on but your results will only be as good as the weakest part of the chain, it's like putting cheap tyres on a fast car.</p>

<p>Better ball heads start around the kirk bh-3 price range<br /> As for diminishing returns, see this test between the RRS BH-55 and much lighter Acratech V2: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36513&st=0&p=302889entry302889</p>

<p>slik 700dx tripod legs aren't light, but they'll be at least as tall as you need them to be...only 99.95 at BH. plus, you can wear the included bag like a backpack :)</p>

<p>if you've only used outfits with cheesy pan-tilt heads on flimsy legs, a $250-300 tripod comprising some cheap legs (like the slik 700dx) and a cheap ball head (manfrotto 486, 488, whatever) will seriously be a world of difference.</p>

<p>I think if you want a one setup and buy once, my thoughts:<br /> <br /> Gitzo 3 series tripod (CF) new or used, you can get 2nd hand, maybe cheaper that is not the 6x CF materials but still CF. Pro's have used a 500mm on it. Like a common Gitzo 1325 I think. The head - maybe a Kirks BH-1? The BH-3 isn't it would be ok for a 200 or a 300/4 but not anything more. Not sure on macro thou.</p>

<p>But having said that if you go on holiday and want something light to swing over your small backpack, you will have to buy another tripod. I am just in the midst of getting a Gitzo traveler and a Markins Q3 head.</p>

<p>Just like your usual backpack or a camera backpack they are made for different situations. Cargo or checkin bag. A week long hike sleep in sleeping bags, a day hike, a bag for strolling in the city. Bags designed for hiking or a journalist or a sport photographer or a climber or as a simple backpack tourist.</p>

<p >I also have the Kirk BH3, and am looking to upgrade my old Bogen aluminum tripod to a Carbon Fiber. The Gitzo's are very expensive. After looking at all the other companies, I see that Induro has the best bang for the buck.</p>

<p >Kirk BH-3 Ballhead with Quick Release - Supports 15 lbs (6.8kg) for $265.00</p>

<p >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554685-REG/Kirk_BH_3_BH_3_Ballhead_with_Quick.html</p>

<p >Induro C213 Carbon 8X C-Series 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs - Supports 17.6 lbs (8 kg) for $370.00</p>

<p >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486858-REG/Induro_460_213_C213_Carbon_8X_C_Series.html</p>

<blockquote>

<p>there's a review on PN on the flashpoint CF which says its not made very well.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm the one who wrote the PN review on the Flashpoint. And I'm not sure that is the conclusion anyone should be taking from the review. Essentially I say "It's no Gitzo, but it's very usable". And it is, I use the one I have fairly often.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>sorry josh, but that's the conclusion i got. maybe i should have gone more into depth.</p>

<p>you say:"The legs have the usual carbon fiber “swirl” to them and are all fairly strong feeling with less flex that I would expect out of each individual section. <strong>That is, all except for the smallest section with is pretty thin and pretty flexy when you try to bend it"</strong></p>

<p>and:</p>

<p>"Compared to a more expensive CF tripod like a Gitzo, <strong>the Flashpoint 1128 doesn’t have the most rock solid feel to it."</strong></p>

<p>and:</p>

<p>"the 1128 does have <strong>more leg flex and vibration that I would like</strong> when all four sections are extended. I have a feeling that <strong>long exposures in windy environments might be troublesome</strong> ."</p>

<p>this one is the clincher:<br>

"Tapping each of the tripods on the ‘shoulder’ transmits <strong>much more vibration</strong> to the Flashpoint than to the Bogen."</p>

<p>so, essentially, what you're saying is the Flashpoint shaves weight at the expense of stability compared to similarly-priced aluminum 'pods, and that its less well-built than more expensive CF 'pods, correct?</p>

<p>i've never used the flashpoint, but basically it seems that you get what you pay for. i guess you can always weigh the flashpoint down with a sandbag, but if you're hiking and trying to go light, that kinda defeats the purpose, doesnt it?</p>

<p>Steve,<br>

Although I have a much heavier setup I also use, I have a lightweight setup I use for hiking long distances. It is a Feisol CT 3342 carbon fiber tripod, with an Acratech Ultimate ballhead. The whole outfit weighs 3.25 pounds. I have used a Nikon 400 f/3.5 with an F5 on the Acratech and had it hold steady, but obviously that's in a pinch--point is, it will easily hold your other lenses and D700. Price wise you are probably in the 500-600 range, but I agree with everyone above that your tripod is essential and should not be skimped on.</p>