T-max completely blank - somebody knowledge me

<p>I am a newbie to the world of black and white film photography and I may have made a major rookie mistake. I shot a roll of t-max 100 (really important roll too!) and very foolishly took it to a CVS (also known as Longs Drugs) to have it 1-hour developed. The roll came back completely blank, just like an unexposed roll, no edge marks or writing, completely blank. They told me I must have made the mistake, but I developed my only other rolls I have right now myself, which were taken before and after this roll, and they are fine. I imagine this is because they used color film chemistry, but I was wondering if that is consistent with the completely blank roll. I asked if they developed it for black and white and they said, "the machine knows if it is black and white." Does this sound possible? I was too dumbfounded and heartsick to even stick around to ask a manager. Anyone know what may have happened? Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>They're being kind of foolish, the machine doesn't know or care if it is B&W or color for processing. Any traditional B&W film that is run through color chemicals will come out completely blank; the bleach will remove any image as there are no dyes in the film to remain after the bleach. The only B&W films that can be developed in color chemistry are Ilford XP2+ and Kodak BW400CN. Unless the canister say C-41 (or E-6) on it, it <strong>cannot</strong> be processed in color chemicals, regardless of what person a Longs says. </p>

<p>The fact that there are no edge markings is indicative of processing error. Regardless of exposure (short of pulling the film out of the canister in full light) there will be edge markings if it was properly developed. These types of shops often do not properly train their employees about the equipment they are using. As Franklin stated, no color processing machine can develop non-C41 film of any stripe, traditional black and white included.</p>

<p>Color film uses silver, but it is fully removed in the processing stage because dyes are used to form the image on the negative. Traditional black and white film uses only silver to form the image, so when it goes through C-41 processing and all of the silver is removed there is nothing left to form an image, hence the totally clear film. They at least owe you a fresh roll and an apology...<br /> <br /> - Randy</p>

<blockquote>

<p>they said, "the machine knows if it is black and white."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This sounds like it comes from someone who has never seen a trad. silver-based black and white film but is used to the C-41 process b/w stock like XP-2 (isn't it?).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the information. I can't believe I even took the film there in the first place. The irony is that I have access to the local community college darkroom and I used it that night to process two other rolls. I just wanted 4x6's of all the shots on this roll so I figured I would get it done quickly down there. I am going to revisit the CVS just to let them know they should take this stuff seriously and actually train their employees, but I certainly have to take responsibility for it myself. Arghhh. </p>

• 3 weeks later...