Backing paper question

<p>As a follow up to my recent find, I find myself posed with a question. This Kodak 1A Autographic has the frame counter window on the opposite side of the film as compared to a 120 film camera that shoots 6x9. I used an old roll of Kodak colour film as a dummy and it has frame markings for 6x4.5 on the opposite side of the film roll as the 6x9 markings whereas the 6x6 markings run up the middle of the roll. Does Fuji use the same marking system? Although the negative area of the 616 is bigger than 6x9, it's not a huge difference. The film rail might be another topic.</p>

<p>The Kodak and Fuji 120 Markings are the same, or are on the Vericolor and Velvia rolls that I compared.<br>

616 film is 70mm wide. The frame size is nominally 2 1/2 x 4 1/4. 120 is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. There are still some rolls of 70mm film around if you want to try respooling 616 rolls.<br>

There have been a few articles on adapting 120 film to 616 cameras, ranging from the inventive to the downright awful. The best one that I saw used an old 616 reel with the centre cut away and the remaininig stubs flattened to fit a 120 reel. The end flanges of the 616 reel fitted into the end flanges of the 120 reel. I'll post the link if I remember where I saw it.</p>

<p>Rob<br>

As my experience when using 120 film in 116 or 616 cameras, the film frame window is on 6x4.5 format<br>

1) for safety sake: count 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 you get 5 pictures<br>

2) for saving: count 3, 5+1/2, 8, 10+1/2, 13, 15+1/2 you get 6 pictures<br>

add 2 small rails to narrow the film frame for 120 size you get the picure frame 54x108mm, the total of 2+1/2 of 45mm frames include borders is about 115mm enough to take care of 108mm.<br>

Good luck</p>

<p>In my 616 cameras (Ansco Clipper and a Brownie Special 616), I carved a pair of "spool-stretching" shims out of foamcore, which I put on the supply side. I have marked new frame numbers on a recycled 120 backing-paper strip. (I usually shoot 35 mm in 'em, so I re-spool.) My lab, Wheaton's in Worcester MA, is good about hanging onto my spools and special paper. The take-up is the 616 spool that came with the camera. Shots on regular 120 seem to work OK, although one has to worry about the film floating in and out of the film plane without top and bottom rails for it to rest on. If I were to do a roll of 120 today, I would re-spool it onto my marked backing paper, and use the frame-counter window to know how far to wind.<br>

boston skyline 578

<p>Am in the process of making 116 film using a 116 spool with backing paper and Ortho film. There is an Arista film that is flexible enough to be used as roll film. Will also try that later for 130 and 124 film. Also got a Kodak 1a Autographic. The only wear is on the leather handle. The rest looks like new.</p>