Tomorrow is D700 Day for me. Hints?

luisarguelles

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Although I don't own D700 I had a chance to play with it a little and I must say you bought your self nice piece of photo machine. ;) Congrats! This camera is way out of my financial reach, but one day, who knows... ;)<br /> <br /> What I wanted to say, forget about LR and get NX2 and Color Efecs Pro for NX too, if you can. This combination is all that you need. All my photos are edited in NX and if it could make frames and put text on photo, it would be only photo software I'd have installed.<br /> <br /> But, I must warn you that NX is memory hungry and If you don't have at least 2GB of RAM in your computer, go by some. I don't know on what system you work, but if it is Windows XP than don't install more than 3GB, they can't use more anyway. If you are on Vista or XP64 than go for 4GB. D700 makes bigger NEFs than D80. ;)<br /> <br /> Hope I helped a little. Enjoy your new camera!</p>

<p>I wish that box was at my house.. Next year.....<br>

I found with my 300, the book "Mastering the D300" was the best for information as to setting the the many, many menu options the camera offered. I know there is a "Mastering the Nikon D700". It may be helpful.<br>

Enjoy your new treasure,</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Actually, I think NX 2 is more processor hungry than memory hungry. If you have iStat Pro on a Mac and look at the amount of processor power being used, it's a behemoth of a program. Going from an older MBP to a new one with 4 GBs of RAM hasn't altered the landscape for much too much in terms of actual RAW processing. I'd say it probably makes jpeg conversions faster, though. </p>

<p>After a very few hours behind the camera I'm speecheless.</p>

<p>I've mounted a Nikkor AF-D 35mm f/2 on it and handling, although a bit heavier when compared to a D80 is great. Results, at least as seen from the screen, are spectacular. Later in the night I'll install the software on my 24" Mac. Also I'll comment your postings. You all are helping me to have a really great day!</p>

<p>Hello Luis,<br>

I don't really know which jpg setting would get the Velvia look; I only shoot in raw. But I've stumbled across a few setting that to me are really useful. These are just a couple of my personal favorites. They work well for my shooting style; they may not for yours. Anyway, here's what I like:<br>

The AF-on button. The D700 has a dedicated AF-on button which, for me, is really really convenient. I've turned off the shutter-button autofocus activation and set the camera to af-c (continuous). That way you autofocus until you get what you want, stop pressing the af-on, recompose, and shoot. So far the funtionality is about the same as shutter-button autofocus gives you. The advantage is that now you're always ready to shoot a fast moving subject that requires continuous focus. Also, in a pinch, you can manually focus without setting the camera to manual focus. With regular af lenses you turn the autofocus motor when you do this, which may not be a good idea, but at least you have the option. <br>

I set the function button to call up my "favorite setting" (auto iso) in the "my menu". (I think I have those names right, but I'm not sure). This way if I'm shooting in, say, aperture priority mode with auto iso, it's very quick to change the minimum shuter speed (in auto iso) to change the "shuter-speed/ISO compromise" as lighting conditions change. <br>

If you shoot in RAW, one of the most important settings you can change is in the jpg processing control menu. If you take a photo in raw and look at the histogram, you'll see that histogram of the photo <strong>as processed by the camera</strong> , not the raw histogram. In other words, with standard jpg control settings, the histogram will tell you that you're getting less dynamic range than you actually are. To see what range of data is actully being captured (where the higlights and shadows are actually being clipped), set the contrast as low as possible in the jpg control menu. <br>

So those are the setting that I've found to be useful or important. Maybe they won't be to you, but that's your call. <br>

Congrats on the new camera,<br>

Charles</p>

<p>Luis</p>

<p>I other hint/suggestion/though. There are some new Nikon Picture Control profiles on the nikon site that you can download and install on the D700, might be worth checking out. I installed the Portrait and Landscape ones. There are also 3 profiles that match the D2x, interesting but I did not install them.</p>

<p>Getting a Velvia look with take time, homework and practice. In the D700, as in the D300 and D3, you have have three levels of menus to control how you shoot: shooting, picture control and custom. Get to know them...all in all over 100 variables. Scared? Have I put you off? Don't worry. There are spreadsheets on Nikonians that you can use to get your settings correct. <br>

But cutting to the chase on mimicking Velvia, use "vivid", and experiment with increasing saturation to your taste. Leave hue and contrast at normal. Increase sharpening to 4 or 5. Thats a good start if you are producing Jpegs. If you shoot RAW, all that is irrelevant, and you make these adjustments later.<br>

I have a D300 and the D700 or D3 is my upgrade path. I really don't need any more resolution as I don't make big prints.</p>

<p>I got mine about a week or so ago, with the MB battery pack. The owner's manual is very daunting, 444 pages! This camera has a lot of features I will most likely never use, but they are there if I need them. I would strongly recommend you get a book by J. Dennis Thomas, entitled "Nikon D700 Digital Field Guide" from Wiley Publishing. The ISBN is 978-0-470-41320-3. It is small enough to fit in any camera bag and a lot easier to understand than the owner's manual.</p>

<p>I am only using my manual focus AIS lenses with it but have had some terrific results. I changed out the standard focusing screen with one with a microprism center. I have to admit, I am a little scared. I have used my "Old Faithful" Nikon F2's and a Hasselblad 500C/M for over 35 years but this thing is exciting!</p>

<p>Got mine about 4 weeks ago, my first DLSR, so it was a big step. I've got a couple of F301's and my old fav a FM2, with the associated manual lens's , hence my interest in an "affordable" FX format.<br>

Because of my non CPU len's I turned every thing off and went manual. Read the manual (probably need a second read), and bought "Mastering The D700" from the Nikonians (via Amazon), this is well worth the money. (Also signed up for 25 days free service and got a whole load of questions answered.)<br>

Yes Vivid is the recommended Velvia setting, but your just scratching the surface. I didn't want to shellout more money for NX2, (though via the trail period , it does look excellent but I object to buying a very expensive camera and not having the software included.), I have PSE 6 (mac), and all I needed to do was get the lastest RAW file 4.7, also get DNG converter, it's Adobe's attempt to standardise RAW files, and it might just work. Shoot in RAW, why the hell not, adjust all your files before finalising, as though it's in the camera. Depending on what editing programme you have you may not be able to shoot in 14 bit. <br>

Once your in RAW forget about in camera tweeks, everything can be done post camera.<br>

It's easy to get tempted to setting to auto ISO, you'll end up taking amazing pictures, in light levels that should really need a flash. Make sure you set the high ISO noise reduction, then think.. why do I need this and turn off auto iso, and make the decisions yourself.<br>

So much to learn, have you notice how bloody heavy the thing is!. I haven't yet bought a "proper" neck strap, but I will, with my manual 28-85 it weights 1.7Kg!. And the strap you get is rubbish.<br>

The battery is amazing, but I can see my self buying a second back up. Don't think the optional camera charger also charges the battery, as it doesn't (or so Nikonians tell me).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>By the time I got my D700, I had switched to a sturdy and comfortable Tamrac neck strap, which costs about $20 or so. It's also a lot less eye-catching, which I appreciate.<br>

Luis: I love your first shot there. Very well done :). Great lighting in particular.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I didn't want to shellout more money for NX2, (though via the trail period , it does look excellent but I object to buying a very expensive camera and not having the software included.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D700 comes with ViewNX and TransferNX. They're very stable and useful. Capture NX 2 is an upgrade over the freebies.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Once your in RAW forget about in camera tweeks, everything can be done post camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe I'm "old school" (or just plain lazy), but I don't want to edit thousands of images when I can just set a few preferences in the camera and have them come out looking nearly perfect.</p>

<p>It's important for my workflow to "get it right" in the camera. When I open NEF files in Lightroom, they look hideous (all washed out). It's not very inspirational. I want to play a slideshow and have my best images POP out at me. I'll devote time to tweaking the best, but I don't want to fuss with the rest.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />Make sure you set the high ISO noise reduction</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Again, it's a personal choice, but I find that I don't need High ISO NR with the D700 unless the ISO is over 3200. If an image is noisy, I'll fix it with software rather than running the risk that High ISO NR might degrade IQ.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />have you notice how bloody heavy the thing is!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's a feature. You get a workout every time you shoot! ;)</p>

<p>Luis it is nice to see you share your excitement and congratulations on the D700.</p>

<p>NX2 is not to bad to work with on a PC if you have a recent computer. I've found that a clean install of Windows XP helps out. Nothing beats getting the right exposure in the first place then you have less pain using NX2 :).</p>

<p>I would recommend getting a second EN-EL3E battery.</p>

<p>

<p>Folks, you can’t imagine how fine I feel with so much support from you. I was planning to answer every message, but that would take hours (that sure would be stolen from picture-taking time :)</p>

<p>Well, about software, Lightroom is producing great results. Yesterday I used the RAW+jpg settings and soon I erased all the jpg files in the computer. These 14bits RAW files offer a lot of room for adjustment and there is room to produce incredible final images. Previously I had experienced RAW files with Olympus DSLRs, and both a D40 and D80. No one camera from these offer so much flexibiity as the D700, or at least these are my first impressions after playing a bit. By the way, my computer is a 24” iMac with 4 GB of RAM, enough to handle these files. Again about jpg files, I know I’ll do a lot of trials and tests because the D700’s ability of defining your own “profiles” deserves it. Buy the way, black & white conversions from RAW files seem to be very interesting: I have never reached a so much b&w “film” results with any previous digital camera I owned since 1999. A word of caution, although: This doesn’t mean it can replace my rangefinder system for the “purest b&w photography” as a friend of mine usually says, oh well.</p>

<p>About weight: Yes, it’s not a feather, and the strap is just the same you can find in the D40 (Nikon should offer something better at this price). However, since I only use primes from 20mm to 85mm, weight is still inside my personal comfort.</p>

<p>About autofocus: It seems like an updated version of the one in my F100, and since I’m not a sport photograph, this doesn’t seem complex, at least for the moment. I like the area covered by the AF sensors and I don’t need it being larger.</p>

<p>Well, my todo-list is the following one: 1) Install the Nikon software and compare it with Lightroom. 2) Explore the control profiles for having different “films” in the camera, specialy profiles for producing b&w files. 3) Deeply research on b&w conversion from D700’s RAW files: as already noted, this camera promises a lot.</p>

<p>As hardware “updates” I plan: 1) getting a new CF card (mine is only 2GB), 2) getting a better strap and 3) getting a second battery .... when the wallet can again breath without effort! :)<br>

<br /></p>

</p>

<p>If Lightroom works for you then use it. Capture NX is buggy and slow, the only reason to use it is that it offers high image quality. As I understand it, Capture NX is better than LR in high ISO, although I don't currently have LR so I can't verify this myself.<br>

The color quality and BW possibilities are indeed much better than in older models, there's plenty of potential in this area.</p>