What happened to the quality of RedWing (Booms)?

paulrumohr

<p>Trying to set up a studio for my client and recommended a Standard RedWing Boom for an overhead light.<br>

Went to Calumet LA to get it. Hauled it to client, opened it up, and realized it was incredibly - underbuilt- would be generous.<br>

I have an original Redwing Boom, back from the days before Calumet bought it, and everything on it beefy and heavy duty. This Calumet Redwing thing is chincy.<br>

So I thought to myself, maybe they have improved it. Lightweight isn't necessarily a bad thing with an overhead boom.<br>

I put the boom assembly onto the Calumet rolling stand in front of the client. Isn't it cool?, I ask. My client hesitates for a moment and says "Is it my imagination, or is that stand leaning in one direction?"<br>

And lo and behold, it is. Unbelievable. Without a light or sandbags on it, you can see that the shaft of the rolling stand that comes with the package is, in fact, leaning, straining under the "weight" of the bare boom assembly.<br>

Oh, I say hastily, we'll switch out the stand for an original Manfrotto. But isn't this boom great?<br>

So I put a light on one end and then work on counterweighting with sandbags. But they don't fit. The grommets/holes in the sandbags meant for the screws to go through don't match the boom. They are mis- sewn.<br>

My client is not liking this. I rush back to Calumet. I switch out the sandbags with ones from another Redwing boom that fit- barely.<br>

No problem I say! Here we go... I attach the sandbags. I tighten the 4 screws that hold the sandbags in place. I raise the light.<br>

The sandbags slide and don't stay in place. I can't believe it. I look at the mechanism carefully and compare it to my original boom. My original has teflon strips to create friction to stop this sliding. There is nothing to stop the sandbags from sliding on this new design.<br>

In other words, this $500 boom, is utterly useless. Not because I got a manufacturer defect, but simple because it CAN'T work. The counterweight won't stay in place without some kind of friction beyond these 4 screws trying to push against a flat metal surface.<br>

I call Calumet. I complain. I say this boom sucks. They say they know, bring it back. Unbelievable.<br>

Aaarrrghhh. Do not buy this boom in it's current degenerated incarnation! If someone has a suggestion for another paralleogram style boom, please let me know. Better et, if you have an original Redwing Standard Boom from before Calumet f'd with it, I may want to buy it from you.</p>

<p>Bah-bump!</p>

<p>Paul, did you happen to get any photos of the weak points of this boom? Might help clarify the problem for others who reference this thread later.</p>

<p>Guess I'm glad I kept that old 1970 copy of Peterson's magazine for building DIY studio and darkroom equipment, everything from booms to print dryers, all out of plywood, lumber and sheet metal. The good old days, when men were men and their studios looked like Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys gone wild.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>

<p>Hi Jeff, <br>

I am looking to purchase a new studio boom. I heard great things about the redwing booms from other photographers. The photographers told me they were built well. This is too bad that the new ones are built well like the older ones. Can I ask which model did you purchase from Calumet? Did you resolve the issues with the weight bags or did you end up returning it back to the store? If so what model and brand did you end up with? I appreciate any help or advice you can give!<br>

Regards, <br>

Mike Ross <br>

<hr>

<i>Signature URL deleted per photo.net <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines"><b>Community Guidelines</b></A> - http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines. The appropriate place to post a link to your blog or website is your photo.net profile page, accessible via the My Workspace link.</i><br>