"NO, i will NOT take a photo with your camera!"

annie_ryan

<p>If the bride comes home from her honeymoon to your great looking pictures, she will NOT care if her mom or his mom complains that you were rude. You are working! And at the end of the day, your great work will cause the B&G to forget any and all indiscritions on your part....like in 1 second!</p>

<p>Just gently tell the guest/mom "I'd like to but I'm paid to make pictures for the B&G and not guests...perhaps you can ask one of the 1,000+ guests to take the snap shot for you."</p>

<p>The prime directive is to make pictures for the B&G, and not be a people pleaser with the guests. The only customer service that counts is the service that causes the bride's eyes to ignite with pleasure when she views the pictures that you made for her.</p>

<p>Don't confuse customer service with doing things out of the scope of your job. And no, I don't think there is anything you can do to stop such requests.</p>

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p><strong><em>"Don't confuse customer service with doing things out of the scope of your job."</em></strong></p>

<p>An Interesting Maxim for one’s Business Protocol - especially - in these economic times.</p>

<p>Amd more especially, if it is applied to this particular and singular request by one MotherI've fixed a ladder in a stocking (they were amazed I could do it) and I can tie a bow-tie too . . . but Hosiery and Tailoring are "outside the scope of my job", no?</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>That's why I have a 21 year old assistant, I hand the camera to him :) Seriously though, I usually oblige the request. And I get them all the time even though I'm almost 40. I don't usually get them when doing formals, but moreso during slower times. In fact, the FOB asked me to take a photo of the father/daughter dance with his film camera Sunday. Crikey, I had to MANUALLY advance the film! I made no promises as it was manual focus in a dark room.<br>

As someone said above, if I see a group trying to do a self portrait, I'll step in and take a shot with their camera, but one with mine too. I usually joke about not knowing how to work a point and shoot. I'm a photographer, it's what I do. It's not like they're asking me to pour drinks. Wait, I did that Sunday too because I was behind the bar to get a photo of the groom and his friends taking a shot and they needed one more and the bartender was busy. Why wait...I almost poured myself one while I was at it :)<br>

It's not your age or appearance. It's that you know how to take a photo.<br>

Sam</p>

<p> </p>

<p>On occasion I was asked to take a pic or two with someone else equipment and I told them upfront that I am not responsible for their camera's if I brake them plus they have to pay me a lot of $$$$ (because it's a side job on a paid wedding), lol, all trough the fun way or telling them and took a photo or two (when I have time for that) but really quickly so their photo will not look good as I take with mine equipment.<br>

Also have bin asked (on one occasion only) to help them out with camera setting and to make their picture look good, so I told them that I can do private photographic class 1 on 1 after wedding is done and gave them my business card to schedule appointment, :) and they don't bother to ask anymore.<br>

After that conversation, they will not bother me anymore, but they will have fun with me, since I told them in a nice and funny way, so they realize that I am paid to take a pictures with my equipment not with theirs and am not responsible for any/all loss etc...<br>

It's not every time but once in a while am asked to take a photo for them.<br>

I am always polite with them, 'cause you don't know if they will need your service. If you are jerk to them, they will tell to everybody, even it's your right to refuse to take a picture with their equipment, but.... always but, be nice and polite.<br>

<br /> Usually the B&G square that before wedding day, since that's in my contract, that I am official photographer and will not tolerate interference with my work, etc...</p>

<p>Just my $.02 on this matter.</p>

<p>Hmmmm, I was just reminded of a recent episode of Mad Men (TV show on A and E). Advertising executive is asked to look over a non-client's print ads for free and he refuses. Friend- "This is just a friendly matter." Ad man- "This is my business, what do you want me to do?"<br>

I think being asked for a quick photo is less than being asked for a photo lesson, but there is a line to be drawn.<br>

How many people have asked their mechanic friend to look at their car when something's not running right?</p>

<p>"If the bride comes home from her honeymoon to your great looking pictures, she will NOT care if her mom or his mom complains that you were rude. You are working! And at the end of the day, your great work will cause the B&G to forget any and all indiscritions on your part....like in 1 second!" Dan Lovell</p>

<p>While this is true, in many cases the MOB\ MOG have other children and quiet a lot to say as to who is hired for those weddings. (potogs, band, caterer...) Many times they are the ones paying the bills for the wedding and so a few strokes is not out of line IMO.<br>

Just as a free tire rotation would not be out of line for a guy that just paid $1,000.00 repair bill for his daughter's car. I can all but guarntee he will come back and spend more money with me. If you charge him the $24.00 you may never see him again. Or any of his 4 kids or his brother or ...... Regardless how well you did the repair on the first car.</p>

<p>On another note. I certainly would not want to be the one blamed for upsetting the brides mom and ruining her wedding. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Emotions are running high if not out of control at the best of weddings and things may actually be at the point of boiling over. Esp if one or both sets of parents aren't real enthused about this maraige. (just a little experance from my sister's wedding)</p>

<p>Word of mouth advertising goes both ways but a bad word goes further in damaging your rep than a good word does in fixing it.<br>

Rule of thumb: A happy customer tells 2 or 3 other people when asked. A ticked off customer tells everone they know as a matter of course. "don't go to that mechanic, hairdresser, doctor, caterer, photographer .... he\she\they (you've heard all the explatives)."</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If the bride comes home from her honeymoon to your great looking pictures, she will NOT care if her mom or his mom complains that you were rude.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It appears you are an IT guy and not a photographer. That may explain your comment.<br>

<br /> One of the pros I shoot next to quite a bit disappeared recently. I asked his replacement. "You guys complained that he was a (deleted)" was the response. BTW, I had complained.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5586880"><em>Annie Ryan</em></a><em> </em><a href="../member-status-icons"></a><em>, Sep 27, 2009; 08:25 p.m.</em><br>

<br /><em>And, Mark, I don't know... it's just, I think my problem is more NOT being taken seriously. You know? <strong>Would someone ask a 45 year old male photographer what this woman asked ME?</strong> <br />Therapy helps, i know ;)</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, why wouldn't they ask?<br>

I'm 61,, and two years ago I was on location shooting in Manhattan when a couple approached me and asked me what I was shooting. I explained the shoot to them, and then they asked me if I would take a shot of them with their camera.<br>

I said "sure, but I'm not familiar with your camera". They showed we the shutter release, and I arranged them in the natural light just right, took their portrait, took a few more poses and safeties. They got a mini photo shoot just for asking, and I got to meet new people and add some value to the day.</p>

<p>Bill P.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>If the bride comes home from her honeymoon to your great looking pictures, she will NOT care if her mom or his mom complains that you were rude. -DL</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em>"It appears you are an IT guy and not a photographer. That may explain your comment." -Josh</em><br>

<em></em><br>

ROFLMAO :-)<br>

<em><br /></em></p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=253916"><em>Wolfeye Photo</em></a><em> </em><a href="../member-status-icons"></a><em>, Sep 28, 2009; 03:12 p.m.</em><br>

<em>She knows that if YOU have the digital file she must go through you to get output. So she has you take one with her camera on her own memory card. She doesn't care squat about quality. She just wants control.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Or maybe she wants just one little personal memento for her long plane trip home.<br>

She could be suffering from a terminal illness and this could be very comforting for her.</p>

<p>It's not always a cold, calculating dog-eat-dog world.....</p>

<p>Bill P.</p>

<p>What's the big deal? You are not only invited to a great party, you also get paid for it. I have been photographing three weddings this month and if someone have any requests (and they have) I do everything to make them happy. I even play play with the kids, and even let them take some photos with my camera as well.<br>

I acturally prefer that people don't know that I am hired to take photos so people around me acts more naturally.<br>

A good reputation can take years to build, but only five seconds to get rid of. You should be greatful that people want to hire you for one of the most important events in their life.</p>

<p>Annie,<br />Don't take it personally. I would get the same thing back when I shot weddings. Being polite, I would do it. Word spread & more & more guests would approach with the request. It got in the way of the job. It was like the old adage "Give them an inch, they'll take a mile." There was even an occasional request on how their camera worked!<br />In short time I politely backed away from the requests.<br>

Heck, the photographer is getting paid by the bride & groom; not the guests. They became my only concern </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Rule of thumb: A happy customer tells 2 or 3 other people when asked. A ticked off customer tells everone they know as a matter of course. "don't go to that mechanic, hairdresser, doctor, caterer, photographer .... he\she\they (you've heard all the explatives)."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is something that has been going through my mind: in the catering industry the apparently the numbers are when someone has a bad meal they tell 16 people, when they have a good one they tell 4. I would rather be known in the latter group!</p>

<p>Life's too short! Just enjoy doing your job - you're at a wonderful party and it's a privilege to be there. Have fun, lighten up and take photographs of people who enjoy you being there. If you don't come home with a smile on your face you're in the wrong job!</p>

<p>Why give yourself hassle and make life difficult?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If the bride comes home from her honeymoon to your great looking pictures, she will NOT care if her mom or his mom complains that you were rude. You are working! And at the end of the day, your great work will cause the B&G to forget any and all indiscritions on your part....like in 1 second!</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>The prime directive is to make pictures for the B&G, and not be a people pleaser with the guests. The only customer service that counts is the service that causes the bride's eyes to ignite with pleasure when she views the pictures that you made for her.<br>

Don't confuse customer service with doing things out of the scope of your job. And no, I don't think there is anything you can do to stop such requests.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is absolutely, completely and utterly, totally 100% wrong!<br>

Getting good wedding pictures is not just about operating a camera. It's about being good with people and getting the absolute best out of them.</p>

<p>Hello, i am a 27 yr old that looks like i could be in highschool also so i understand your frustration, but if someone else wanted you to take a picture with there camera it's because they know your a professional and youll do a better job, you should take it as a compliment, that doesnt mean they think your some kid, it means they know your more educated in the area of photography.. ive worked in customer service for about 15 years and ive learned when your working with people you just have to humble yourself no matter how retarded they are, sometimes you just gotta be the better person and "grin and bear it",your the proffesional..thats awesome by the way!!! so i would say in the future just cater to the clients a little so they like you and give you a refferal, and just keep in your mind that YOU are the pro, not some kid and thats why they hired you, thats just what you gotta deal with sometimes when you work with people, and its just a small scacrifice to be able to do what you love for a living....thats why landscapes are great..the mountians dont talk back :)</p>

<p>Theresa, if you are worried that Mom's P&S (or D3X if she's a very cool Mom) will compete with the shot you take for the classic portraits, then I think you are in the wrong business. I doubt she'll have things optimized, nor will she have the post processing capabilities you should have as an experienced pro. I would hope your 8x10s and album work looks better than Mom's. The most successful photographer I've known shot baby pictures. She also taught new mom's how to take better pictures. It did not decrease her work, it made them more aware of what a professional can do and resulted in a lot of sittings (or layings for infants).</p>

<p>btw, I'm old enough that no one is twice my age and still alive!</p>

<p>Forgive me for putting this quote in again, but I feel very strongly about it:</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

As long as the final pictures are good, then that's all that matters?</p>