Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD back with a RB67 Pro-S Body?

marike1

<p>I just purchased a Mamiya RB67 Pro-s from B&H. Unfortunately it came with a 220 film back, and I'd prefer to have a 120 back to have more selection in films (i.e. Ilford, Efke, Fomapan). The KEH website claims that an RB67 Pro-SD back will only work with an Pro-SD body and a RB67 Pro-S back with only work with a Pro-S body. In other words, they say the backs are <em>not</em> interchangeable between different models. </p>

<p>Another website review of the RB67 Pro-S claims that the Pro-SD and Pro-S back can be used on either body. Does anyone know for sure which is correct: the KEH claim that Pro-SD backs for Pro-SD camera, and Pro-S back for Pro-S camera or the assertion that the backs are interchangeable between the different RB67 models? </p>

<p>I'm having a tough time finding a nice condition 120 Pro-S back in my area (New York) whereas the newer Pro-SD backs seem more prevalent. </p>

<p>Lastly, how does one set the ISO rating on the RB67? I can't find that info in the manual. </p>

<p>Thank you in advance for any light you all can shed on these issues. Any info is greatly appreciated. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>The backs are interchangeable; I have a pro-sd body and both kinds of backs fit just fine.</p>

<p>There's no ISO setting because there's no meter on the camera; you have to set shutter and aperture manually, taking into account the ISO either in your mind (i.e Sunny f/16) or on an external light meter.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Mark, I sort of figured that regarding the ISO. </p>

<p>As far as the backs, I just re-read the KEH blurb regarding the use of different back on various RB67 models and it is the inserts that are not interchangeable. I simply read it wrong (Oops). As you have noted, they state that all backs work on all bodies. That said, I would like to find a Pro-S 120 back that is in mint condition (like my body) but I suppose I could buy a Pro-SD back if I can't find one. </p>

<p>Thank you very much for setting me straight. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Markus!</p>

<p>No problem. The backs are almost exactly the same; they are just shaped slightly different on the outside (which is probably why inserts aren't interchangeable). Pro-S ones can be cheaper.</p>

<p>I understand the want to get a mint condition one to match your camera, but it sounds like you have no back right now... just get whatever they have and start shooting (you will find a pristine one sooner or later); you are going to want more than one back anyhow eventually -- those 10 shots go pretty quick when you are out and about, and if you go from outside to inside, for instance, you can switch from ISO 100 to ISO 800 film mid-roll, which is what is really nice about multiple backs; you don't have to waste those extra shots just to get the next roll of film in there.</p>

<p>By the way, if you don't have a back right now or back body cap, make sure you are covering the opening on the back of the body itself so no dust gets in while you are waiting for the back to arrive.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Is there any reason to not buy a RB67 (original back) provided it is in good condition? I know that the newer backs have a feature that prevents unwanted double-exposures, but other than that, should I stay away from the original RB67 back? <br>

Thanks again. </p>

<p>Pro S and Pro backs, regardless of cosmetics, will likely need new light seals. I recently got a boxed NOS Pro S 120 back(the weird kind with blank warranty cards, foam inserts and dessicant packs)that was gorgeous but needed new seals. It's an easy job that really doesn't require an over-priced kit. Simple craft store adhesive-backed foam works fine on the critical hinge and clasp seals. Mucking out the old gooey foam took longer than laying in the new seals. Separate 120 inserts do surface occasionally under the big auction tent.</p>

• 6 years later...
<p>I recently purchased a Mamiya RB67 Pro S with the Pro S revolving back. I later purchased a Pro SD 120 film back to go with it because it was mentioned everywhere that they are interchangeable. Come to find out my Pro SD film back will not fit onto my Pro S body. I assume you need the Pro SD revolving back as well to attach the Pro SD film back to it. </p>