T90 stop-down stuck

astral

<p>My second "beater" T90 has a stuck-in stop-down (d-o-f) button. After twiddling all the logical things, like reading the manual, taking the lens off Auto, removing the lens, taking camera of AV, using fresh batteries, making encouraging words and uttering outright threats, the button remains firmly stuck.</p>

<p>I wonder if I'm missing an obvious 'trick' - or do I need to get the screw-drivers out?</p>

<p>Happily, the camera works perfectly well in TV, AV & P modes - stopping down correctly - so it's only an irritation not a problem. I rarely check d-o-f on the T90, but this was to become a dedicated high ISO + long telephoto body, hence d-o-f preview would be handy. </p>

<p>This is a salvaged camera which I partly rennovated (top end only) a few months back. I don't recall whether the stop-down was stuck then, or if I have subsequently caused the problem ....</p>

<p>Any ideas please?</p>

<p>Yup, spot on Baris! One for the week and one for weekend!</p>

<p>My "beater" was originally a cheap camera fair junker, bought for fun; but I fixed it and decided that it was worth buying one that didn't need parts adding/replacing. And, yes, my other one is virtually mint, but only by a happy quirk of fate .... a 'no-brainer bargain".</p>

<p>The T90 specs are good, though it has a few technical quirks; but it handles well.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Had a T90 with same problem some years ago, if I remember, carefully remove lens mount, watch out for springs, shims and fishline cables (I'm into Nikons). Now stop down mechanism is accessible, cleanable and lubricatable. Use lube sparingly. It's a sliding switch in a channel if memory serves me. Good luck!</p>

<p>Alan,</p>

<p>If you go into surgery, remove the screws around the lens mount first. Loosen but do not remove the screws that hold the film door latch plate. If you remove them, the latch and spring will go flying into a parallel dimension. The front cover has very fragile plastic tabs that hook under the latch plate; utter soothing words and be careful working them out. The other end of the cover merely slips under its mating piece near the handgrip. Watch for any screws I have failed to recall.</p>

<p>The stop-down knob comes off with the front cover. You'll have the mechanism exposed at this point and can troubleshoot and clean.</p>

<p>Baris I have four T90 bodys all of them work, two of them were given to me by friends who hadn't used them for decades , I bought the last one a 'parts camera' so my repair guy could canibalize it to keep the other ones going, I don't attempt my own repairs, I've seen the service manual for the T90, and It's so complex that although I worked as a precision engineer for many years in the aircraft industry I wouldn't know where to start, and am amazed at the alacrity that people take them apart and attempt to fix them, I would be very interested to find out what percentage of them that ever work again, I think I would rather attempt to remove my own appendix than to try and repair one, because I know my own limitations.</p>