recent airline travel with carryon monopod-tripod

ed_okie

<p>Airline carryon TSA rules shift quickly as various Alert levels prevail. Has anyone had any <em>recent experience </em> with carrying into the cabin a monopod? (along with a photo bag of course), i.e., do regulations possibly suggest that a monopod (club-like) is a banned "weapon"? (and in turn has to be packed within checked luggage.</p>

<p>Yes 60cm is the longest item you can carry on. My tripod fits under 60cm (58cm) but I had it measured a couple of times on a recent very multi legged journey.</p>

<p>There is reference to camera gear on the TSA site but it doesn't mention the 60cm, but everyone seemed to know about it, don't know if it a new rule or not, but if it is less than 60cm (I had my ballhead off) then it will be allowed on in carry on, if longer you have to check it.</p>

<p>Ok, it may be under some length limit when compressed, but I'd say a monopod <em>does</em> have potential as a weapon, when extended.</p>

<p>So, <em>why</em> do you want to carry-on your monopod? Why not just put in checked luggage? I assume you're concerned about loss. I don't think that warrants the hassle.</p>

<p>The experience reported on here is variable. Which helps only in the sense that it would be unintelligent to turn up at an airport with no ability to pack it in your hold luggage. You can ask who you want, but you won't be asking the people manning your check-in/security examination, and boarding process, and its what they think that counts. Bear in mind also that you have a return jouney where the people won't feel bound by the views taken on the outbound leg. Anyway, you don't need a tripod on a plane do you? And you can always take off any particularly precious head and carry that with your camera.</p>

<p>Mendel,</p>

<p>I travel with no checked luggage now, too many lost bags and missed connections trying to get checked bags from collection halls. Only thing I ever had stolen out of a checked bag was a half used deodorant stick in Puerto Rico! My camera gear and clothes all go in one carry on bag, the computer goes in a laptop case. Easy as that. If I don't put the tripod in my carry on it won't go.</p>

<p>Whether you think it might constitute a weapon or not is irrelevant, the current rule is if it less than 60cm closed it can go on, so work to that and you are good. Many of the rules make no common sense, what can you do?</p>

<p>Derek, my experience is that the airlines care much less than the security. Unless you are on a small plane where carry on size is restricted (even then alternative arrangements are normally available, like handing off on the tarmac) I haven't had an airline pull me up on an item that security let through.</p>

<p>David,</p>

<p>It is not down to the personal whim of the security people. They might not apply all the rules every time but they do work to rules. If you have a tripod or monopod that is less than 60cm closed then it can go on. I was pulled twice on my last trip, once in the US and once in Japan, both measured the tripod, both were happy, both allowed it on, it is their rule if you conform to it they have to.</p>

<p>And as I explained above, I do need a tripod on a plane.</p>

<p>Well...call the airline and ask.</p>

<p>I just returned from a trip and I did not bring a tripod because I will not pack photo gear in checked baggage...and...I thought tripods were not allowed in carry-on.</p>

<p>During this recent trip (four flights) I noticed people carrying canes in the cabin, so, I called the airline when I returned, to inquire about tripods (tripods were not specifically mentioned on their website).</p>

<p>Westjet welcomes tripods in carry-on luggage as long as your carry-on luggage still meets Westjet size and weight requirements. Westjet allows two pices of carry-on - the largest must weigh no more than 22 lbs and not be longer than 21.5 inches in length.</p>

<p>If any other Cannucks are interested in the Westjet details, here is the link for carry-on:</p>

<p>http://c3dsp.westjet.com/southwest/baggage.jsp#scheduledFlights</p>

<p>...and here is the phone number for General Inquiries:</p>

<p>Toll free: <em><strong>1-888-WESTJET(937-8538)</strong> </em> .</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p>

<p>I go through TSA checkpoints at least 6 times a month if not more and I can tell you this for a fact: No airline rule... written or spoken.... and no TSA rule written or spoken will change the on the spot decision made by one or more of the blue shirts who are holding your stuff and deciding to let it go or not. <br>

Airline rules only count for the size and dimmensions of an object and ARE TOTALLY USELESS when it comes to the discretion of the TSA. <br>

The good news is they are usually so busy scanning old ladies with artificial hips and collecting liquids and gels they will let you through with most anything as long as you don't look or act suspicious.... I could tell you some stories... but I'd probably be put on a no fly list....(my experience is for USA airports on the east coast.. YMMV)</p>

<p>Richard,</p>

<p>I have challenged TSA officials with printouts from their own site. If they are wrong they have had to change their mind, I have had that happen twice in the US. In the UK forget it, they are just officious and contradictory, at Heathrow I saw a man refused to fly because he moaned too loudly when a security woman dropped his bag, he was "a trouble maker". You can't be aggressive or rude, but if you ask for a supervisor when the issue first arises and before the agent has a chance to tell their story show the supervisor the printout and explain your situation, it worked for me, twice.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've flown many times in the USA with a Gitzo G1028 carbon fiber tripod in my carry-on. In many years no body asked about it or inspected it. Earlier this year I decided to bring my larger Bogan 3001 and packed it in my checked bag as it was too big to fit my carry-on. It was missing when I arrived at my destination. I assume it was stolen either by TSA or airport employees. In decades of flying, this was the first time anything was stolen from my bag. So using checked bags for anything valuable isn't a good idea. Save them for your underwear and jeans.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I agree with Richard. If you happen to get a bagage checker in a bad mood, your monopod is not getting on. And, you could be re-routed through a different airport or even a different airline. This stuff happens. It can simply come down to the mood of the person you are dealing with. Don't take the chance, check a bag with your 'not so valuables' including your monopod.</p>

<p>My party was once detained and denied admittance to CA, just because the customs clerk was in a misserable mood and we looked like we were havin too much fun. They detained us for 4 hours in customs with no explanation, then released us. I guess they got to the limit of how long they can hold you without cause. Be ware..</p>

<p>My experience is like David and Richard - and I fly about 250,000 miles per year, a lot of this between the US and Canada. There really are no clear policies - the TSA website list policies but they are at the discretion of the individual agents with no appeal. I have been allowed to carry both monopods and tripods and I have been made to check them. Scott may have had luck with challenging TSA officials (as have I) but I have also had experiences where there was no appeal. Over the years I have seen people pushed to the ground and jumped on violently for cutting into the line or taking a photo with a cellphone. I have seen diabetics have their insulin syringes taken, grandmothers have knitting needles taken and a very elderly lady in a wheelchair made to crawl! through the body scanner. On the other hand I have seen a guy treated very well (in Atlanta!) when they found two Armalite rifles in his carry on. I ceased looking for logic in the system many years ago. As Scott noted UK custom can be worse but again this is variable. As Jay notes travel in Canada is under different rules if it is domestic - at the major airports you enter the US in Canada and thus you go through a US TSA process when you fly to the states. For the first 2-3 years this process was not the same as the US process but is now approximately the same. All of this is simply to say be very polite, I suggest you let the screner know before you put the monopod on the belt and usually if they have a doubt they will confur and let it on. You need to always be polite and not critical. There really is no point in an appeal to anyone above the immediate supervisor at the scanner. Similarly if you ask the airline when you check in they will always tell you to check an item that may be an issue. thus if you ask at the check in desk they will tell you to check it.<br>

My advice is to put it in your checked baggage if you have any. I have by the way seen TV crews carry very large professional video tripods onto the plane.</p>

<p>Scott, I can see your point if you're not checking anything else. Still, even unextended, the thing would make a great baton, and not the kind used in parades.</p>

<p>I'd say either check it (which would be a frustration with nothing else checked), or see if there's something they can do for your circumstance, say have it stowed by the in-flight staff and returned to you at on exitting.</p>

<p>Mendal,</p>

<p>If I agreed with 10% of what we are told is done for our security then I would 100% agree with you. It would seem kinda silly that you can take a tripod inside a plane, but then I have never tried to go through security with two Armalite rifles! Having said all that I am not allowed to use my PocketWizards in the cabin in flight so I wouldn't be setting it all up for a portrait session :-)</p>

<p>I have never had any issues with it though, just like Puppy Face. My travel tripods are all under the 60cm rule so can always go, I never carry one separately though, it is always inside my bag with all my other rubbish. I was just giving my recent experiences to Ed, the OP.</p>

<p>Scott I have seen nail clipper taken but the the long steel acbles people use to lock up PCs are OK ! In the UK I was once asked a series of questions - one of which was when and where did I buy each item of baggage - I am not sure what they learn from answers to this question unless you say Beruit or somewhere similar. The best incided i ever saw was in San Antonio. A pilot cut in front of me but then had to wait so we chatted briefly. When he went through the scanner they made him remove his belt (He had a big buckle) and do it again. While he was putting it on and I was putting my shoes on I pointed out that since he was flying the plane the logic behind removing his belt was lost on me. He replied by telling me there is an axe in the cockpit and he had a handgun in his bag that they had just scanned. I never thought about it but I guess the armed pilots take their gun onto the plane in their hand baggage!</p>

<p>Scott, I just realized you're not the OP, fwiw ;)</p>

<p>I agree a lot of rules border on silly, but accept that with the volumes of people, and the potential threats, a certain amount of sillyness is inevitable.</p>

<p>My take: the only justifications for carrying-on a tripod or monopod are that you have no other checked luggage, or you're concerned that it will be lost in transit. Personally, with the dimensions and heft of those items, I don't think they should be allowed in the cabin. The loss and hassle risks are trivial, and their potential for violence use is considerable.</p>

<p>Now, to debate the <em>other</em> side: a digital single lens reflex camera (especially something like the porky Canon 1 series) swinging at the end of it's shoulder strap would make a close runner up to the monopod, as a potential weapon.</p>

<p>You can't win, LOL.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>While he was putting it on and I was putting my shoes on I pointed out that since he was flying the plane the logic behind removing his belt was lost on me. He replied by telling me there is an axe in the cockpit and he had a handgun in his bag that they had just scanned. I never thought about it but I guess the armed pilots take their gun onto the plane in their hand baggage!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Plus they can crash the plane if they want! No amount of belt buckle scanning or water bottle removing can prevent much of anything. Keeps the TSA people employed so I guess it's a good thing.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>This is as recent as last week: I go through airport security at least once a day every time I go to work and, until last week when I sold it, I carried an aluminum monopod in my carry on bag and never had any trouble with TSA. A technique I can share is to send the bag with the camera through the scanner first and then the bag with the monopod, so it all makes sense to the guy running the machine. (There's another technique, but it wouldn't do you much good.) </p>