Sigma 10-20 f3.5 HSM vs. Sigma f4-5.6, is it worth to "upgrade"?

jacques c pelletier

<p>I know this new lens has a constant aperture of f3.5 and of course that would be useful on several occasions. But is it really worth the money to switch to this lens if one (me) already owns the "normal" Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 ?<br>

I am not sure whether the HSM would be all that different in making my pics better, likely not. A nice option, but ... is it worth it?<br>

JP</p>

<p>jp, for what it is worth, I thought about the switch for about 2 minutes and the answer was no...I love my 10-20 Sigma very much. Infact, it is my second favorite lens...BUT I always use it at F/8 regardless of conditions because it is brutally sharp there and the DOF is crazy awesome...Hyperfocal range is like 2 feet to 20 feet and is flat awesome....It is always on one of my K20D's...So HSM is not a requirement for me...</p>

<p>Worth it if you do a lot of low light shooting, and not always at widest setting. In low light conditions, the VF will also present a noticeable brighter view. And what about the size/weight difference?</p>

<p>But if you want a really fast, low distortion moderate WA, just get the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG prime and add that to what you now have. I have that lens and find it very useful. I also have the Pentax 12-24mm f/4 and am very happy with it. I'd say the 20mm EX DG, but that one is pretty soft wide open and does not have the unusual closeup capability of the 24mm.</p>

<p>So it seems to me the real advantage of this lens would be low light conditions. For some this would be important, but surely there are better low light lenses like what Michael mentioned in that 24mm sigma. But for me, I would have to use a tripod set the thing to F/8 and shoot a long exposer.</p>

<p>The link I posted earlier suggested it may be optically a bit better at 10mm but possibly slightly worse at 20mm. I didn't dig deep enough to see they were comparing the same aperture (f/5.6) or wide open (f/3.5 vs. f/5.6).</p>

<p>Another difference: f/3.5 has 7 aperture blades rather than 6.</p>

<p>Javier,<br>

Thanks for the reply. I did in fact notice that the review mentioned the f3.5 being slightly "off" at its longest focal, compared to the old f4 - 5.6.<br>

OK, that adds to my decision to keep the "old" Sigma. True that I can always use longer slower speeds and stay at F8 where the lens is very sharp.<br>

JP</p>

• 1 month later...