Nikon D300, weatherproof?

rjf

<p>Just how weather/water proof is a Nikon D300. Can I shoot in the rain? A drizzle or a downpour? Can I take it to the beach? How much dripping sweat can it stand (being a Florida photographer this a very pertenent question). What are resonable limits? I just can't afford to destroy my camera and yet I would love to shoot in inclimate wheather. How much can it take?</p>

<p>Robert -</p>

<p>The d300 is not sold as being weather proof or water proof. </p>

<p>However - with that being said - I've shot the D300 in all kinds of conditions and it hasn't failed me yet. Everything from 100+ degree heat (kids baseball) and dust to 90+ degree heat and 80% plus humidity (Swimming Pools - indoor) down to - 20 and snow.</p>

<p>While I would not recommend shooting it in a downpour - I've been caught and had to shoot in rain and drizzle - I bring a plastic bag to wrap the body in and try to keep it dry. Also bring a towel to wipe it off with on occasion.</p>

<p>Again - Nikon doesn't advertise it as "weatherproof" but so far I've had good luck with it.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Fair question and answered well.</p>

<p>The D-300 has "weather" seals at critical points (buttons & dials)..Is it waterproof? No. Nikon has never made that claim. <br>

How long will it stand up to a down pour? I'd rather not find out. I carry a large trash bag in my camera bag just in case; large enough to hold the entire bag..It's been a life-saver a few times.</p>

<p>The advantage of the seals for me are their anti dust and dirt ability, which is far more important to me than the camera being 100% waterproof. I remember several years back, my D-70 seem to be a dust magnet.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>yet I would love to shoot in inclimate wheather. How much can it take?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There are products specifically for this.</p>

<p>Robert- Like Peter I always carry a large (heavy duty) trash bag that will fit my whole camera bag. I actually use a leather backpack that I found at a thrift store for $3.00. I like the leather since it is kind of repellent itself. When I am doing family beach portraits I place the whole leather back pack in another larger bag that holds my tripod, props etc. I got that bag at a Surf shop for my surf gear and it has a compartment for wetsuits etc, so it is pretty waterproof. The majority of my shoots are on the coast of Gulf of Mexico, so humidity and salt spray is a big problem. I still have my D70 and after 3 years the corrosion got pretty bad on the screws. I noticed when covering hurricanes or events in damp rainy weather (I would try not shoot in rain but there were times when some rain or spray would get on camera) the D70 would go bonkers. I would have to turn it off and wait awhile to continue shooting again. I got the D300 because of its protection. I agree with others. It is not waterproof. But it does seem to perform better in bad weather, but then again I protect the D300's (got 2 of them) much better then the D70. I clean the salt spray off more often and have not had any hurricanes to shoot (knock on wood). My first D300 had many electronic problems right out of the box. It happens with any camera. Nikon replaced it after trying to fix it. That was a pain. It is a good camera. I would love a waterproof housing but they are pricey. See my gallery for some inclimate weather pix. http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=482894</p>

<p>This isn't a reccomendation for you to do the same, but I have used my D300 in several pretty heavy rainstorms as well as a couple of snow storms and have had no problems. The area I would be most worried about is the pop-up flash and hot shoe, so finding some way of sealing that up a bit better (gaffers tape?) might help.</p>