Pentax M 100mm vs 120mm vs 135 F3.5

tim_drake

<p>I have read complaints that the 135mm F3.5 doesn't focus close enough. Just how close do these three lenses focus? Does anybody know how many aperture blades each lens has? Does anybody have a favorite of the three as far as image quality? Loads of Thanks, TD</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Tim, all you will ever need to know about the specs of Pentax lenses: http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/</p>

<p>You will need to be a bit more specific about the lenses you are asking questions about here, by Pentax M 100mm do you mean an M series lens, or is the M for Macro? </p>

<p>I have the M series 135/3.5 (not the K 135/3.5 which is a different lens) and its image quality is very good. For the price you can get them for, I think they are exceptional value. I just bought an M series 100mm Macro because the 135mm does not focus closer than 1.5m, but not able to compare image quality yet.</p>

<p>Honestly between them, I pick based on focal length. The most appealing package to me is the M120/2.8. Has slightly shorter min focus of 1.2m, 8 aperture blades, and is a very useful length for close-ups. It's also a smidge faster. For whatever reason, the 135 length is much more common than either the 100 or 120 on the used market. I have a few theories on this. 100/2.8 isn't different enough from the popular 85mm which is usually a stop or more faster. And 100 is a common length for macro lenses, so many who want 100mm go for the macro instead. I have a few of these but haven't used any enough to generate strong opinions about their optics which all seem pretty good so far--so my preference is mostly based on the package--physical attributes & specs.</p>

<p>Incidentally, the M75-150/4 zoom is also inexpensive, covers all these lengths, and seems pretty good. Min focus 1.2m.</p>

<p>Andrew, and just for fun, there was also a K 105mm f/2.8 :-)</p>

<p>I owned an SMC-M 100mm f/2.8 for a short while (I got it as collateral baggage in an eBay kit sale) and I loved how small it was. I saw no fault with the IQ.</p>

<p>I will also give a thumbs up for the SMC-M 75-150mm f/4. Not only is it optically good (sharp from wide open), it's also very small for a zoom.</p>

<p>I've got an M 85.2...focuses to about 2.5'. Significantly lower contrast than newer lenses, therefore great with low light situations. Low contrast might be a concern for a JPEGGER/non-printer, but its great with RAW and Lightroom.<br>

f2 at this focal length is the reason I bought it. Easy to manually focus on k20d in low light. Beautiful construction. The plastic Pentax shade is junque so I use a rubber one...49mm of course, so the collapsible 35/2.5 and 70/2.4 would be perfect if not otherwise occupied.</p>