Music for Slideshow with Children

<p>I am creating a slideshow of my grandchildren to give to my daughter and my son-in-love. He works on off-shore drilling platforms in the Gulf of Mexico and is away from home for weeks at a time. He's a great dad and enjoys it when I send him pics of the kids when I visit. He has a MacBook Pro, their home computer is a Dell PC, and I work on a Lenovo laptop.<br>

My problem is trying to locate a song that would go with the slideshow. I shoot weddings and it's easy enough to create slideshows to the bride and groom's favorite popular song. Not much luck thinking of an appropriate song for my 8- and 5-year old grandsons and their 2-year old sister.<br>

Does anyone have any suggestions for songs (preferably iTunes downloadable) for my project. I use ProShow Gold to create my slideshows.<br>

Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Please do not steal music for your slide show. You would be upset if someone used your photos without permission, using music that you do not have appropriate license to use is just the same, stealing.</p>

<p>Google "Rights Free Music" to find music you can license to use legally on your slide show.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>Charles is absolutely right.<br>

So go ahead and make your slideshow without music. Then tell your daughter to buy the following songs from Itunes or on CD and tell her to play one of these songs on her computer speakers while she views your slideshow:<br>

"You're the Inspiration" by Chicago<br>

"Forever Young" by Rod Stewart<br>

"Child for A Day" by Cat Stevens<br>

"Surprise, Surprise, Surprise" by Bruce Springsteen<br>

"One Moment in Time" by Whitney Houston</p>

<p>See this site for information and links to sources for music that you may legally use for the purpose you've described: http://creativecommons.org/legalmusicforvideos/</p>

<p>Be sure to read the exceptions regarding certain uses for certain types of "free" music, such as the podsafe music concept. For example, while permitted uses of podsafe music clearly include most podcasts, some permissions may not explicitly include personal slideshows or videos, even if not redistributed online.</p>

<p>Phylo, it probably is technically illegal but for personal use, to hell with it, just do it FFS. I respect copyright but I'm not sanctimonious about it.</p>

<p>Having said that, it's best to use music which the recipient has not heard before. Do we really need another instance of Ode de Joy? Or some Michael Jackson song? no. Hence, Lex's suggestion might be the better one.</p>

<p>Karim, so since it's only "technically illegal" for me to use your pictures without your permission, you'd advise me to go ahead and publish them on my web site?</p>

<p>You have a poor sense of what's right and wrong here.</p>

<p>Yes, I'm sanctamonious about it, because I have had my pictures stolen, and I have been sued for using unlicensed music. Neither is fun.</p>

<p>@Phylo, when you "buy" music from iTunes, you don't actually own anything but the right to play that file on your iPod. <strong>Period</strong> . Not in public. Not on the radio. Not in a club. And, certainly you don't own the right to copy that music to a CD/DVD for a slide show. Google "synchronization rights" for info on what you don't get when you buy music.</p>

<p>Read the site Lex linked to, it'll clear up your misconceptions.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<blockquote>

<p>And, certainly you don't own the right to copy that music to a CD/DVD for a slide show.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And yet I certainly feel comfortable in claiming that right, if it's for personal non-public, non-profit use, like in the example of the original post. I also claim the right to copy that music to a cd to play in my car or on any radio in my house, just like I would have if I had bought the original cd in a store. So what's the difference then in putting that cd in the cd player, or hooking up the I-pod to the speakers and simultaneously playing a photoslideshow on tv ? I also don't own the right to do that ?</p>

<p>Phylo, the difference is in the letter of the law, not some imaginary right you claim to have.<br>

Do some research, read some sites, find out the reality.<br>

Of course no one will be prosecuted for using Carole King for a slide show for their kids. But I won't be prosecuted for stealing <em>your</em> photos either, will I. Does that make it OK?<br>

<Chas><br /></p>

<p>And yet all songs on the I-tunes store, as of 2009, are without DRM ( digital rights management ) or DRM free, which also covers the way in which digital content, payed for, can be shared and used, burned on a cd-rom within a photoslideshow for personal use in this example. I would think it's the musicindustry that sets the law in this context, or recognizes where it needs to be adjusted in order for the industry to survive and still be commercial.</p>

<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management</a></p>

<p>Phylo,<br>

I hear you. But I think what the industry is really bothered with here is not what you do with your little slideshow at home; it's passing it around to others (for free or for a fee) and thus, as a result, you have cheated out the performers, composers, producers (and, of course, the record company) of more sales of this music on the CD or DVD or whatever else you are <em>re</em>-producing.<br>

While I seriously doubt they even care too much that the OP makes such a show for his/her daughter (and half the people creating slideshows on their home PC's of their vacations are probably do the same thing with music applied to same as the OP wants to do), the fact is the law remains equally as applicable (i.e. equally prohibitive) to that situation.<br>

I think what really needs to change is that it should be made easier to pay a fee and get permission to use the songs for these personal purposes. And the user should be required to pay an additional fee for each copy he distributes. But for anyone who has ever tried to get such permission for such a project....well...good luck.</p>

<p>OK, lemme just say this. First of all, I don't appreciate the tone of certain responses to my query. In fact, I am offended by it.<br>

I joined this group in order to learn how to become a better photographer and I entered this forum in order to get ideas on how best to solve a problem -- music appropriate for a slideshow CD to a father for his children. Inferring that someone is a thief ("Please do not steal....") right off the bat is crude and akin to calling a child STUPID for not knowing 2+2=4 their first day in school, in my book.<br>

I wholeheartedly agree that the laws and permissions are in place, and rightfully so, to protect and provide compensation to artists. I'll even agree that I WASN'T fully aware of laws I might be breaking.<br>

I suggest that those of you more educated in certain matters discover a way to educate others still learning the ropes in an atmosphere of teaching, not beating the crap out of their desire to learn.</p>

<p>Charles, "I-tunes downloadable" does not translate to illegal usage in the way the OP clearly meant to use the music downloaded. And since the only way to download music on I-tunes is to pay for it, by paying one does buy the right as a consumer to LISTEN to that music, and on whatever playing device, computer, radio, in the car, or yes, burned on a cd-rom to be watched on a television simultaneously with a slideshow if one wants. I-tunes didn't get DRM free for all of its songs without a good reason for it towards the consumers, and towards itself to survive, as a big part of the music sale industry. It's not without reason that it's perfectly compatible with I-movie or that I-tunes songs can simply be dragged in I-movie for movies or slideshows. That's not to say that it should be posted on the web to make money or made into a commercial or so. But I think it's you who should first get the facts straight before jumping to all sorts of conclusions about "stealing". Have you actually ever bought music on I-tunes ? I do, for roughly 60 dollars each month. Music I'm sure I could get for free on something like Limewire, but I don't. So if I wan't to use some of that music I bought on i-tunes in a slideshow to give to a friend or a familymember don't come telling me that I can't do that and that I would be a thief for doing so because it is peferctly legal, for me as the paying consumer, to do just that. In fact, in many ways, it results in more free advertising, in more cd sales, for the artists then anything else and they themselves and the musicindustry knows this all too well.</p>