Best Bag strategy to carry a full system, and to day trip.

stephen_fassman

<p>A full feature back pack was recc’ed to carry/ transport the entire system: a D700, MBD10, 2- f2.8 zooms, 105 macro,180/2.8, 70-300VR, sb900, sb800, D200 w/ 18-200 , asst 77mm filters, Lee GND 6x4 kit, tripod, + accessories, with a waist band type case recc’ed to carry the D700, w/ 2 lens, filters, & maybe a strobe, for day trips.<br /> <br /> The choices:<br /> <br /> The Lowepro Vertex 200 for the entire system. The Lowepro Top Loader zoom, or Off Road, or Kata W 96, for the day trips. I personally use a slingshot 200 for The D200, 4 lens, strobe, accessories, and thought the Slingshot 300 or Kata D3N1-30 might be better for the D700, than such a large/awkward waste band type case for such heavy/large gear. <br /> <br /> Can I get some practical recc’s from experienced users of these bags? My main concern is to not upset (or make worse), a chronic lower back problem . Would using the Vertex for both purposes, and just taking what I might need for the day trip, be the best solution? Thanks.</p>

<p>If I'm going to bring a fair amount of equipment, I usually can figure out what small subset of my gear that I will need in the next hour or two, so I often bring two bags: a smaller shoulder bag to work out of, and a somewhat larger bag to leave in the car (...or with my wife/assistant, or some other safe place) should I need to switch to some other subset of my gear. For example, I might switch from a two zoom kit (when I have decent light) to a kit consisting of fast primes if I plan on shooting available light after the sun sets.</p>

<p>This 2 bag approach saves my back and allows me lots of mobility and it doesn't constrain me should the shooting situation change significantly over the course of a day. BTW, even my 2nd bag contains never contains more than a tiny fraction of all of my gear.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I can't give you exact names for my cases because most of them are over 20 years old, and I don't remember their names. </p>

<p>Tom M<br>

Washington, DC</p>

<p>I had the Off-Road in college for my college newspaper photo work and it was pretty good, though now I prefer the ThinkTank waist bags as they're more modular (I work for a newspaper currently).</p>

<p>I can't speak on the Vortex, but I go with the ThinkTank Airport bags. Any of them are great.</p>

<p>May want to check out http://cambags.com/ for images and reviews on any of them.</p>

<p>No comment about the backpack aspect of your questioning but do have a few comments re: day-tripping bags. (Don't know the <em>Off Road</em>.) I have an Off Trail 2 and Top Load Zoom AW. Toting a D700 and two 2.8 zooms on your waist will be uncomfy, even more so with MB-D10 grip and SB-800. Ugh! The hoods of the 2.8 zooms will not fit into the accessory/lens cases of the OT2. If the body and one lens spent the majority of time in your hands/over shoulder, then that may work, but to do much walking with all that gear on your waist equates to torture. A body (no grip) and two lighter lenses may be tolerable on the waist.</p>

<p>The primary benefit of the TLZ AW would be to carry a 70/80-200 f2.8 zoom (not on your list) mounted to body. Other than that I cannot see the benefit of it. That is a tall case yet I doubt you could stuff a second lens (of those you mentioned) perpendicular to and under the body/mounted lens. (I’ll often drop a 50/1.8 into the bottom of the OT2.) I suggest a shoulder bag for day-tripping.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My main concern is to not upset (or make worse), a chronic lower back problem</p>

</blockquote>

<p>more important even than the quality of the back-pack itself is how you (are able to) load it. The bulk of the weight should be on your shoulders. Although this seems self-evident it's often overlooked.</p>

<p>Best bag strategy - wish I had that one figured out by now. For me, backpacks are the most comfortable - but are problematic to get equipment out off. Shoulder bags are easier to work with, but especially the larger ones are uncomfortable to carry . I haven't tried something like a Slingshot in practice yet - but didn't like the handling when I tried it in a store. Waist packs - don't work for me for anything as large as a DSLR.<br>

I have all my equipment in backpacks now (Lowepro Computrekker and Phototrekker Classic) and for airline travel I have a Lowepro RoadRunner Mini rolling backpack. Whatever I need for a day trip I carry either in a MicroTrekker 200, a Lowepro Rezo 190, or a Lowepro Nova 4 - or if I really need a lot, in a Naneu Pro Urbangear U-120 (about the size of a Computrekker).</p>

<h1 ><br /> </h1>

<p>I can tell you about my experience... for heavy loads, I like my original, probably first version of the Lowepro Protrekker AW. It`s like a closet, when full it`s only usable from the house to the garage. I prefer to have enough space for whatever, deep compartments, zippers, nets, etc. Inside the car`s trunk, this bag is a wonder.</p>

<p>For day use, I prefer non-photographic back packs, or better a ordinary shoulder bag. Gear is somewhat loose inside, then I use original lens pouches. In my experience is the most real and practical choice, and I feel more secure. If I need to carry more than one spare lens or filters... there is something wrong with me.</p>

<p>I have another classic, a Domke F2, many times used without dividers bacause it`s not sized for current huge DSLR gear; although it`s a true photo bag, it`s great for fit as it`s made with soft material, without foam.</p>

<p>My back isn't exactly the world's most steady one, and Tom's point is really the key point: the load should be on the shoulders, and second, it should not pull you backwards too much, since that stresses the lower back too.<br>

I usually carry way too much gear in a LowePro MiniTrekker AW with a Lenscase 4 mounted on the side (for a 300 f/4). In the main compartment of the backpack I hold a D300 with 16-85 mounted, 6 smaller primes (24/35/50/85/100Macro/105), 80-200 f/2.8 and a Tokina 12-24. Somewhere in between a TC14 too, and 2 cokin P filters in the plastic holder. That part of the bag is stuffed. In the past, instead of the 105 and the cokin filters, I had a D80 body there. So your body and lenses should fit. In the inner compartments, there is place for memory cards, batteries and filters.<br>

In the sack on the back, I keep my SB600 with it accesories, and some assorted small things. 2 flashguns, including the large SB900 should still be possible there I think.<br>

Tripod fits on the back, though that does make the weight very considerable and might make you bend over backwards, which will not be good to the back.</p>

<p>If I'd be shopping now, I'd probably get the NatureTrekker AW. It's huge and rather expensive, but at least the tripod can go on the side, which should be better for the back. But so far, the minitrekker holds up very nicely. It's much better for long usage than the shoulderbag I have, so I'll gladly pay the price of slower access.</p>

<p>Funny enough, I find swinging this backpack on and off (at its 11 kilos without a tripod) a nice exercise for the back, it avoids the muscles going too stiff. But I guess this depends a great deal on the type of backache.</p>

<p>"My main concern is to not upset (or make worse), a chronic lower back problem ."</p>

<p>I value my back more than even my Nikon camera gear. My decision that I'll only carry a single camera body/lens with when I'm shooting, with perhaps a second lens and some small accessories in my vest pockets, works for me. </p>

<p>When I have to bring everything with me, my camera equipment rolls, or someone carries it for me. But it never goes on my back. I've discovered my back appreciates my change in philosophy.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use a LowePro Slingshot AW200 and with the exception of my tripod, I have squeezed all my gear into this one bag (D90/18-200/ 105 Micro / Reflex Mirror 500 f8 / SB600 + plus diffuser and Plamp)<br>

Take yesterday as an example, a trip to Aspinal's Wildlife reserve in Kent UK was in hand and I found it difficult to exclude any of the kit because it could (and did) come in handy for that special shot.<br>

The Slingshot proved that it copes well with the weight, it sat on my back for about 6 hours and the camera with the Refex 500 mounted on the tripod sat on my shoulder.<br>

Did I ache at the end of the day? - yes<br>

Did I get the shots I wanted? - yes<br>

Did I use everything in the bag? - all but the 105/2.8<br>

Yes I find it difficult to thin out my days kit of choice. I know I <em>should </em>but [enter excuse here]<br>

Mind you ... on occasions I encourage a fresh look at life by taking just one lens - and a day with just the 105/2.8 Macro often pays off because my eye becomes tuned to the gear in hand.</p>

<p>I just don't like using backpacks, I just can't use them when in motion, nor is stuff available quickly. I'm still using a Domke F-2 and yes it's a bit small for the newer equipment, but I can get D90, 16-85, 70-300, 10-24, 35/1.8, 60 and 105 micro and a SB400 or 600 and filters, memory, etc.<br>

The strap is wide and doesn't slip and the bag is light, soft and conforming. But, if I want to carry my 200 micro, it can't be mounted on the camera and is awkward.<br>

I'm still waiting for a better solution.</p>

<p>Weight on shoulders means strain on back to balance the load. Bad idea.<br>

A backpack style bag (or a real backpack) with a proper waist strap system will place the weight on your pelvis. The shoulder straps only serve to balance the load. Also, place the heaviest items as low as possible for a favorable COG. I guess no one here has ever backpacked.</p>

<p>For a backpack I think most of them are to short in length. The waist belt portion of the pack goes over the upper abdomen and you wind up not using it at all. I do not know a specific model to choose but a backpack with a wide velcro waist strap that is at belt level would help a lot. That distributes the weight over the shoulders and the hips. Of course carrying a lighter load is a good idea. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"My main concern is to not upset (or make worse), a chronic lower back problem ."<br />I value my back more than even my Nikon camera gear. My decision that I'll only carry a single camera body/lens with when I'm shooting, with perhaps a second lens and some small accessories in my vest pockets, works for me.<br />When I have to bring everything with me, my camera equipment rolls, or someone carries it for me. But it never goes on my back. I've discovered my back appreciates my change in philosophy.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wise words from Dave. Less is more. Flip a coin and decide which lens to bring. If you focus on getting the best out of the lens or lenses that you have with you, you won't worry about the focal lengths that you're "missing." You don't need a "portable B&H" with you to enjoy a nice photo-hike through the woods. If you missed some killer shots with your telephoto, go back tomorrow with a wide-angle lens.</p>

<p>I will second this notion, after many yrs and many bags, for airplane travel I bring a rolling Pelican piece with it all in, including small laptop, and a smaller bag like a Crumpler or Tamrac Express Sling bag, as a personal item bag. When out shooting, the rolling bag stays in car trunk and only the sling bag accompanies me. It will fit a couple of 2.8 lenses and the camera and third lens is around my neck. In a pinch, the body and third lens will fit into the sling bag also. Over 50 I have no reason at all to push my back beyond reason anymore. If I don't have something with me, then I figure out how to shoot it, with what I have, a bit of creativity helps, or I DON'T need to shoot it at all. If one thinks they need every lens and extra to do a full job then you must be a pro and have a young photo assistant or wife to schlepp the heavy stuff and pay them accordingly. That said, too, I shoot more APS-c format when traveling long distance, say to Europe and leave the FF stuff for national parks in the states where more often then not the car and gear are not too far behind...ymmv</p>

<p>jeez, where are you going, with all that gear? if you're going to take that much, forget hoisting it on your back, especially if you already have chronic pain. You can get a KATA bag ( http://www.kata-bags.com/index.asp?UP1=OK ) which has the option for a wheeled insertrolly or a rolling Pelican, as Don Weston suggests. with that, you can transport the gear to a secure location (hotel room), then take what you need for the day. i would also suggest a modular waist pack system for day trips/short excursions, either with or without the larger bag.</p>

<p>sling bags and monostrap bags with large loads arent good for backs at all. i have the slingshot 200 and if i take more than two lenses along with d300+grip, it becomes very uncomfortable after more than 2 hrs. ditto messenger bags, those work best when you're not weighted down too much or for short urban excursions. waistpacks are the most ergonomic, followed by backpacks. backpacks can sometimes be less accessible than one would like. that's why a best-case scenario is a backpack/waistpack combo with a wheeled option. this allows you to take as much or as little as you need.</p>

<p>Yeah, the weight of the pack should be carried, primarily, <strong>by the hips and not the shoulders</strong> . This from the Osprey Packs, Inc. site:</p><p><strong>Step 2 - Hipbelt Sizing</strong><br>

To determine your hipbelt size measure around your hips, not your waist.<strong> <em>A properly fitted hipbelt rides centered over the hipbones and needs to be very snug; after all it will be carrying the bulk of the pack's weight.</em> </strong> The padded portion should wrap well around your hips, leaving a gap of 3 to 6 inches between the tips of the pads when securely tightened.</p><p>I added the bolding and italics.</p><p>I really like the Kata backpacks. I'm selling my Tamracs since I got the Katas.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A backpack really needs a well-designed waist belt to spread the load.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As someone who sold backpacks (for hiking/climbing) for over 5 years I can second (fourth) that. To do this effectively the pack needs a stiff, well-padded waist belt, some sort of frame or reinforcement to get the weight from the top onto that belt and the pack should be <em>the right size for your body</em> . Not too long, not too short.</p>

<p>For daytrips: I recently got the Slingshot AW 200 and I really like the combination of a reasonable load-bearing capacity (much better than a shoulder type of bag IMHO) and still fast access to the camera (almost as good as a shoulder bag but much much better than a backpack). I see you already have that bag, so why not use that for the day trips?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The weight on the shoulders? Funny, with all the backpacks I bought the instruction says to prevent extensive shoulder load, by putting the weight on your waist/pelvis.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'll fifth the suggestion. As someone who hikes extensively with a large pack, I can tell you that any serious pack designed for a heavy load has a large padded waistband that transfers weight to the waist and legs directly, therefore reducing the load through the spine.<br>

From this point of view I think the Vertex looks ok.</p>