F1 Motor Drive MF

baris_john

<p>At the risk of sounding negative, don't bother! The motordrive for the original F1 is very heavy, not particularly fast and requires the removal of the camera's baseplate, which means that you can't add or remove it whilst there's film in the camera.</p>

<p>If you need speed you're probably better off getting a T90, if you really <em>really </em> need automated film advance on your F1 then there is a winder which may be the better option, but, unlike the winder for the F1-N which also gives shutter-priority AE, all it does is wind the film and give you an extra handgrip and extra shutter buttons (so it's a lot of added weight for little benefit IMHO).</p>

<p>Of course, if you like collecting camera gear and appreciate the solid build of the early stuff then get either (or both!) and enjoy owning them - just don't expect them to be very practical.</p>

<p>I agree with Steven's assessment of the Power Winder F. It's well-balanced and comfortable to hold and use. The Motor Drive MF is significantly heavier, bulkier and more expensive. If you need the extra speed or intend to do some unmanned and/or remote photography with your F-1, the Motor Drive MF would be the choice, especially if you have a Servo EE Finder and the somewhat hard-to-find Interval Timer L.</p>

<p>Unlike the New F-1, you can attach or remove a motor drive or winder on an original F-1 with film in the camera. Removing the base plate will not result in fogged film. As with film loading, just avoid doing this in direct sunlight.</p>

<p>On the New F-1, the AE Motor Drive FN has a motorized rewind feature that requires the removal of a cap directly under the film chamber. Because this will fog any film loaded in the camera, there should be no film in the camera when attaching or removing this unit.</p>

<p>I had two motorized F-1s that I used for years. Yes the Motordrive MF is big, and yes, it's not particularly fast. But it was fast enough for my needs, and more importantly, I was able to keep my eye at the viewfinder, not having to remove it to crank the film advance lever. Probably 90% of the time, I was usung it as a single-shot device anyway.</p>

<p>I shot a lot of motorsports photography back in those days, and actually came to appreciate the added weight of the MF because it helped stabilize the whole outfit when panning. </p>

<p>Gordon's right: the film will not become fogged if the drive is removed with film in the camera. The biggest risk an F-1 user runs is misplacing the camera bottom plate, which can affect its value if/when a person wants to sell it.</p>

<p>I'm also a big fan of the Winder F. It's much more compact, and works just fine for shooting without moving the eye from the finder.</p>

<p>Michael</p>