Most versatile finished digital image size?

azlatic

<p>I did a little family portrait shoot for some friends recently and am giving them a CD with their finished images in high resolution TIFF or JPG files so they can print whatever/whenever they want. I'm always concerned about cropping and such, and am not sure what size format I should provide the images to give them the most versatility when printing on their own.</p>

<p>For instance, if I crop everything to 8x10, that's going to really mess up their 4x6 and 5x7 prints as there will be too much taken from the sides (in a vertical) and the top/bottom (in a horizontal). However, if I crop to 5x7, what happens if they want to enlarge and print an 8x10 or 8.5x11?</p>

<p>My friend and I don't want to go back and forth with her letting me know which file she'd like in which size so I can custom crop each one. We'd both rather I just give her the high resolution files to begin with and she can do as she pleases.</p>

<p>Basically, after I'm done editing (for levels, color balance, sharpness...the basics), what size and format should I burn to a disk for her that will give her the most versatility?</p>

<p>(Many apologies if this has been answered before...I may not be using the correct search terms to find the information I'm looking for.)</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>[[We'd both rather I just give her the high resolution files to begin with and she can do as she pleases.]]</p>

<p>Then you should provide the full image and let them crop as they see fit. If they're going to be using a kiosk system at a local photo store/retailer then the kiosk will provide cropping tools that will allow your friend to decide where they want the crop to fall.</p>

<p>You want to keep the images at the native 2:3 ratio of your camera(IE 4x6). I used to run into this alot on my web site were clients and their friends/Family can purchase the print in any size they want. At times I really like a portrait at 8x10, however, every time I crop one to that and post it, someone orders it in 4x6 and I have to recrop and replace the image during order proofing before sending to the lab. I use Smugmug. </p>

<p>On the other hand, it is easy to crop a 2:3 image to 8x10 or 5x7. The key is that when you frame your shot in camera, that you frame it loose enough so that you can get a 5x7 or 8x10 out of it if desired. Some times people just don't understand that a certain image will not be printable in a comon size like 8x10 and do not like the idea of having to find a 8x12 frame.</p>

<p>Jason</p>

<p>[[ I do have a few, though, where I cropped in quite a bit to get my finished image. Maybe Dad blinked but Baby looked great, so I cropped Dad out. What then?]]</p>

<p>That's a completely different scenario than just cropping for different aspect ratios. If you cropped someone out of the photo then, in all likelihood, you'll not have any choice but one print size, in which case your friend will have to live with that. <br>

The alternative would be to go back to the original photo and photoshop in eyes of the subject from a shot taken moments later or before (assuming you have multiple shots, that is.)</p>