Sticky shutters in Cold Weather

john_dorio3

<p>This happened to me one time in Colorado on Mt. Sniktau near Loveland Pass. This place is one of the most easily accessed scenic views from the car. Its not a very strenuous hike but it is very rewarding. Some views can be seen here: http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=152332<br>

I was using a Commercial Ektar 8 1/4 inch at the time and the shutter just freaked out. Luckily I had some backup lenses to shoot with. It was early spring and the tempertures were a little cold at this altitude. Can anyone explain why old shutters freeze up in cold tempertures? Since then I make sure that all lenses are cold tested before taking then on such a trip or in winter. Compur shutters are notorious for this freezing up in cold weather. Copals are the most reliable in this regard. I really envy the folks in Europe that can take LF cameras to the summits of the mountains in the Alps. (there is a club that does this) However I always try to make a summit trip to one area or mountain when I visit Colorado. The rule to this type of photography is that the longest focal length resolves the most detail. Any solution to the sticky shutter? I tried teflon spray to an old Glaflex lens and it seems to hold up fairly well in the cold tempertures.<br>

Best regards,<br>

John</p>

<p>FWIW, the subject of winterizing shutters (and cameras) is covered briefly in Kodak Publication No. C-9, <em>Photography under Arctic Conditions. </em> It says pretty much what Michael and Charles said: it might be worth relubricating your shutter with lubricants designed for a broad temperature range.</p>

<p>In most cases where you can stand to be out in the weather, keeping your lens inside your coat until ready to use it will allow you time to focus and take the shot before the cold affects the shutter; then remove the lens and stick it back inside your coat while you look for your next setup.</p>