Which prime

pbless

<p>Hello, <br>

the problem is, i am a beginner street photographer, my Sigma 17-70 is quite a joy to use for street photos, but i also love doing some macro work (in summer mostly). So now i am stuck. Now my sigma isn't long enough for my needs...and also at the long end isn't bright enough. <br>

So i am considering to get:<br>

Canon EF 85mm F1.8 - saw a lot of great and sharp pictures, it would be perfect for my street shooting and overall portraits...but bad for macro...<br>

Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro USM - would be perfect for macro but maybe too long for street? I am using 400d after all....<br>

So i am torn apart between two different worlds :D</p>

<p>If you intend to stay with a crop body then the Canon EFS 60mm macro is a fantastic lens and will also serve as an excellent portrait lens. If you think that you might go FF then the Canon EF 100 macro is not really too long for portrait on the 400D and will stay with you for FF. The Sigma 105 macro might also be worth considering or, for crop only the Sigma 70mm macro. Go try some of these if you can, or search through site to see examples from each.</p>

Some coincidence, but I was just poking through Adorama's used dept. and came across a 50 f/2.5 compact macro. You would need to find the optional extension tube to make it a true 1:1 macro, but the price was very reasonable and it supposedly is a good performer at "normal" distances. Also works on FF.

Correction/addition to my post above: I did a little more research on the "extension tube" accessory for the compact macro and it turns out to be a full-blown adaptor complete with electronic contacts, so the price is actually more than the used lens itself. Still, if you're satisfied with 1:2 (1/2 life size) it might be worth it.

<p>I have Tamron 90/2.8. Excellent lens. However AF is slow, loud, and hunts in low light. When it does lock in, accuracy is spot-on though. I have used it for street photography, but be prepared for some frustration when you miss a shot due to AF hunting. Yes it does extend towards close focus, but it's half the weight of the internally focusing C100/2.8. Also, the front element of the Tamron is deeply recessed, saving you from having to use the lens hood.</p>

<p>I also have 85/1.8. Excellent lens also. AF is quick, silent, as good as it gets. You can fill the frame with a grapefruit but not with a lime. You could buy a set of Kenko tubes for closer focus.</p>

<p>Tamron has a new 60/2 macro lens. You get f/2 plus 1:1 macro capability. A little spendy, though.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Close cropped candid shots are a real challenge when using a long lens for street photography. Many of my favourites have been taken with the 135L on a crop body for head and shoulders images. With this in mind, I suggest the EF 100 f/2.8 macro may not be too long for your purpose. <br>

If I only could have 2 lenses for street photography, the 35L and 135L would be my choice.</p>

<p>Thank you all very much, never considered 60mm macro, because i think of moving on to FF in a couple of years, when my rebel gives up.<br>

Paul...that is my dream kit too, love to have the 135L but can't spend that much....as well as 35L.<br>

Arie: yes, the front element of the 100 macro is a problem...but af is crucial for me in street, because most of the time camera is not in eye level...<br>

Again thanks a lot :)</p>

<p>Thank you all very much, never considered 60mm macro, because i think of moving on to FF in a couple of years, when my rebel gives up.<br>

Paul...that is my dream kit too, love to have the 135L but can't spend that much....as well as 35L.<br>

Arie: yes, the front element of the 100 macro is a problem...but af is crucial for me in street, because most of the time camera is not in eye level...<br>

Again thanks a lot :)</p>

<p>Actually I'm leaning towards the 85mm, because well it is going to get cold in a month or so...there won't be any bugs or flowers to take macros of, so probably it is best just to get the one that i need now, because with 85mm i will be able to go around the city easily. Thank you all for your opinions! </p>