How weatherproof is the FM?

xxloverxx

<p>Since my F3 died in the rain today (nothing but the LCD works properly), I'm stuck with either shooting the FM or F4. As the F4 is big, bulky and inappropriate as a carry-around-all-day camera (for me anyway), I've decided to go with the FM, only, how weather proof is it? I need a weatherproof camera (the F3 was supposed to be one, evidently it wasn't) so I can shoot under almost any conditions (rain, sand, possibly snow).</p>

<p>I swear I'm never taking an electronic body without a backup again…I've learnt my lesson.</p>

<p>I don't think the F3 was meant to be weatherproof like today's cameras are. There are many gaps without seals if you dismantle one. The FM would keep working as it is clockwork, but any moisture inside will cause problems in the long run.</p>

<p>As far as I know the F6 is the only fully sealed Nikon film camera - slightly ahead of the F5.</p>

<p>Hugo</p>

<p>The FM is not a weatherproof camera. The F3, as the professional camera of its day was/is more weatherproof than the FM.</p>

<p>There were special versions of the F3 (F3P, F3L), which were designed especially for press photographers who operate in all types of weather conditions. These were more weatherproof due to certain sealed parts, than the standard version F3/F3HP.</p>

<p>If you really need a weatherproof (waterproof) camera, then I suggest you look at the Nikonos range, with either the 35/2.5 or 80/4 lenses for "out-of-submersed-water" type situations ; bearing in mind that parts (O rings) may be, or actually are, unobtainable. There may be after market parts. Perhaps someone more knowlegeable on Nikonos cameras can elaborate on this.</p>

<p>Ian - would it be possible to just let the FM dry after using it? I have a cabinet that I store all my cameras in that I can control the humidity…would that help?<br>

John - For me, the Nikonos system doesn't look that great, especially the lenses which aren't as fast as I'd like. And I've already got a whole system of the F mount lenses and want to use them on 'normal' SLRs.<br /> Also, I'm on a bit of a budget and would like to go with what I have already</p>

<p>Hugo, for light raindrops or misty rain the FM will be fine if wiped off with a cloth before the water gathers enough to get into the mechanism. If the camera gets really soaked, it would keep going for a while, but as the water dries out it can cause corrosion inside and also leave deposits. Therefore, you should still take care when using the FM in the rain.</p>

<p>Humidity control is always good, but it will not stop harm caused by too much water getting inside.</p>

<p>As a thought, why don't you wrap the camera in a bag and leave just the lens poking out - then you can use it in even heavy rain?</p>

<p>'As a thought, why don't you wrap the camera in a bag and leave just the lens poking out - then you can use it in even heavy rain?'</p>

<p>A more sophisticated version of this is the the 'rain cape'. Ewa-Marine makes a range of these things (as well as full-scale underwater housings for divers):</p>

<p>http://www.ewa-marine.de/index.php?id=80</p>

<p>According to experienced repair techs I've spoken with, the F3, like other Nikon pro 35mm SLRs, was sealed against dust and moisture entry. At most they'd say it was weather-resistant, not weather-proof. They said the FM series lacked certain seals making it more vulnerable to water entry from rainfall.</p>

<p>As far as I know the only 35mm SLR camera for which Nikon has made very specific claims regarding weather resistance was the F6. It was measured in the amount of rainfall per hour. This was published in literature at the time of that model's introduction and is probably still available on Nikon's website.</p>

<p>But seals will deteriorate with time. We all know that the conventional felt, cloth, fabric or string type light seals will deteriorate. The rubber seals will also harden, shrink or otherwise become less effective over time. So in a decade I wouldn't expect today's F6 to continue to perform up to the original specs for water-resistance, not without having it serviced to check and replace those seals if necessary.</p>

<p>It was common for hard working pros to send their cameras in for servicing on a regular basis, every year to three years, when they anticipated working in extreme environments. Very few of us ordinary users have ever done that. Even as a newspaper reporter/photographer, the only time I ever sent a camera in for servicing was after dropping it in water (not a Nikon, and I didn't bother with the expensive repairs after hearing the estimate).</p>

<p>I had lots of success just cutting a hole in a zip-lock back, then mounting the lens over that hole.</p>

<p>To protect the lens also, you can put the whole camera and lens in a bag, then mount a clear filter, while threading some of the rim around the bag's hole (which you cut to size) into the filter/lens threads.</p>

<p>Sampson - how well does that do when viewing/shooting? I'd imagine quite a large bag.<br>

Michael - strangely it wasn't a lot of rain; only as much as most pros would expect to see in a normal shooting situation, and nothing to the extent of a PJ. Therefore I'm not quite sure why it died so fast.</p>

<p>Problem is, the eyecup dropped off over 15 years ago (was my grandpa's camera)<br>

It's a single-thread eyecup isn't it? Anyway, it's lost :) I'll try to fashion something reasonable with a garbage bag; see how that goes.<br>

If that doesn't work I might have to shell out 300 HKD for a real rain cover, which might eventually be worth it as I do shoot in conditions that would kill most digital consumer SLRs</p>

<p>With film cameras the plastic bag trick (around the body) works quite well - since there are obviously fewer adjustments and you basically need only the shutter release.</p>

<p>You can also use some elastic bands around the lens (to retain focus and aperture ring changing ability) and the viewfinder (if you've lost the eye piece).</p>

<p>Its not the prettiest option, but I've used this setup on the Coast (in temperate rain forest, with ocean spray) very successfully in the past.</p>

<p>Thanks Sampson! It's a comfort to know someone else has used this solution <strong>successfully</strong> in the past. I'm not too concerned about how it looks.<br>

What kind of bag did you use? I was thinking a garbage bag, trimmed down a bit, with holes in appropriate places, would work well?</p>

<p>A disposable shower cap is often suggested as a cheap solution, with the elastic either around the lens, or around the wrists with an extra hole cut for the lens:</p>

<p>http://pixographers.com/2009/05/guerilla-gear-shower-caps-and-shoe-shine/</p>

<p>http://thedigitalstory.com/2006/11/shower_cap_camera_pr.html</p>

<p>http://snapify.blogspot.com/2008/03/take-those-shower-caps.html</p>