My Space image use concerns

jeff_z.

<p>A recent image I'd made seems to be getting some favorable comments from the few experienced people that have seen it. One of them would like to utilize it for a My Space page in order to promote an art selling enterprise in which I may also participate. I'm both flattered and very willing to do this at no charge, perhaps with a copyright notice and photo credit. My concern is one of security; is there anything to worry about in regards to someone being able to take it for unauthorized use? If so, is there anything that I can do before it is posted to help ensure that this won't happen i.e. file size, or anything else?</p>

<p>Also, a brief search here seemed to indicate some concern, and, perhaps confusion about the photo rights policies of My Space, itself .. Has anything been clarified on those issues?</p>

<p>I fear that I'm at the real risk of "making a mountain out of a mole hill" in worrying about this, but still want to inquire with anyone here who can address it. The image is a landscape with no property owner issues, and no people are in it. Thanks very much for any informed help.</p>

<p>[[My concern is one of security; is there anything to worry about in regards to someone being able to take it for unauthorized use?]]</p>

<p>If one can see it online, one can copy it. Whether or not you should be worried about it is up to you.</p>

<p>I can't speak to the My Space TOS portion of your question.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response, Rob. If the file size is kept to say, approximately 650 pixels on the long side, would this more or less effectively thwart any meaningful unauthorized uses as far as the end result's quality? If so, at what quality level might you recommend saving the jpg at for the best compromise of quality for viewing, and safety from theft?</p>

<p>Any image can be copied if it's on the net.</p>

<p>If you fear someone (printing) your work for personal use, I see no problem.<br>

If you want to thwart enlargements, size the image down, perhaps 650 as you say and 72PPI.<br>

A 8x10 at that res will look poor.<br>

A big © all over the image might deter the cloners but mess up the aesthetics of the image.</p>

<p>What is your real fear with this?</p>

<p>Thanks Pete and Jeff.</p>

<p>Pete, I realize it's probably wishful thinking, but I'm hoping the image might have commercial value. It seems to be evocative, taken in unusually moody, subdued light. I'm moderately experienced in saying this, I suppose, in that I've has some success with note cards with similar images for several years at a good bookstore in a very arts oriented town, and moderate success in print sales.. Judging from 3 out of 3 experienced viewers' reactions (one, a gallery owner who is also a photo teacher and excellent traditional printer), this one seems to be pretty decent. I've not had much financial success though, and I just don't want to make a fundamental mistake with this.</p>

<p>The dilemma, as you probably guessed, is that I very much welcome exposure (I have been terrible in seeking this, so far), plus, of course, I want to help someone who is helping me. At the same time, given how very little I actually know about internet piracy and the technologies of reproducing electronic files, I'd like to be aware of anything I can do to mitigate any potential risks without destroying the aesthetics of the image.. I feel that I'm making way too much out of this, but I know that you guys are infinitely more knowledgeable than I about it. I greatly appreciate any help that can be provided.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I feel that I'm making way too much out of this</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Probably, but I understand your concern</p>

<p>Take the worst case scenario and proceed from there.</p>

<p>Let's say Mr. Giant company steals your image and places it in a big ad campaign.<br>

Odds of that happening? I've said it before, Like %000.000</p>

<p>Let's pretend they did steal it. Now what?<br>

A nice letter asking them to cease useage of your image.<br>

They say "go pound sand"<br>

Now it's time for legal action.<br>

Do you have the resources to litigate against Mr. Big?<br>

What if the offending party is outside your jurisdiction? Again; good luck.</p>

<p>It's a silly scenario, and I can't say I know of this scenario ever playing out.</p>

<p>How about "Mr. Little Inc"? They place your photo is a newspaper advertisement.<br>

Not a lot of money was made, but still, they infringed on your copyright.<br>

The first thing the newspaper will do is point the finger at the photog. Well the photog has no money, so the finger points right back to the newspaper..and on it goes.<br>

If you can prove ownership, they will no doubt settle out of court for X amount of money. <br>

Let's say it goes to court. You better prevail because it will cost you plenty is attorneys fees if you<br>

lose your claim.</p>

<p>I've not seen many web images that can be used in commercial quality applications anyway.</p>

<p>If you feel this particular image has some possible future value, then by all means, have it copyrighted throuh the normal channels...It'll cost ya about 30 bucks U.S. At least if a infringement claim is ever filed by you, it is much easier to prove the image is yours in front of a judge.</p>

<p>If this image is a good as you say, get a gallery to display it.<br>

Often the gallery itself will put their necks on the line if infringement is shown.<br>

Even if they don't, it is further proof this image is yours.</p>

<p>Ya, I really think you are making too much out of it.<br>

I wish someone would steal one of my registered images and made a ton of money with it.<br>

Pete would be on Ka'Ching street!</p>

<p>Last word for me on this:<br>

You can't prevent anyone from stealing images unless you never show your images...<br>

just like laws do not prevent crimes, they only offer recourse in the event of.</p>

<p>Someone on a social networking site in Korea (of all places) took a liking to my Waterton Scenery folder and started hotlinking to it. then others started passing it along and doing the same thing<br /><a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=732676">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=732676</a><br>

<br />it got tens of thousands of hits (combined) on the pictures... did I get one cent out of it? NO! what can I do about it? realistically, nothing. </p>

<p>photo.net eventually killed the hotlinks but as for me getting any money etc. etc. not a snowball's hope in heck of that happening. oh well...</p>

<p>File size (perhaps jpg quality level as well) and a watermark are the most common approaches to discouraging image theft. An image that is large enough to be full screen on most displays is still pretty small for most printed outputs although notecards/postcards may be possible.</p>

<p>The social networking sites do have policies and procedures for dealing with copyrighted material posted without permission and most "sharing" sites, etc., make an effort to notify of copyright but "taking" an image is essentially impossible to prevent.</p>

<p>There is recourse through the courts but it's not necessarily a quick nor inexpensive process. However, given sufficient funds or outrage, or both, infringement actions do get pursued and successfully. It's the unusual action that finally gets to court, but that's the case in other legal areas as well. The system works to achieve settlements before a court trial is needed if at all possible.</p>

<p>Pete and Craig, thanks very much for the helpful suggestions and insights. I think a fairly small file size, unobtrusive but noticeable watermark, and saving at a moderately high quality level is probably the way I will go with this. There is a very recent post here that is what my best-case scenario (if someone actually wanted to steal for a money making purpose!) might be!</p>

<p>L.J., they are some nice images of a beautiful place- I can understand their liking them!</p>

<p>I greatly appreciate all of the good information.</p>