Outback for a month, stick with one system? What to leave behind?

steve_robb1

<p>Good afternoon all,</p>

<p>Well, I've taken some long service leave and am heading back out to the outback for a month, some final mods and tweaks are coming together on the car and I'm almost all set. I have a little question about my photographic setup, not so much even a question really, as I <em>think</em> I've already made up my own mind, but I would still love to hear other peoples opinions and experiences.</p>

<p>The focus of my trip is predominantly photography, a little bit of writing about the trip, and just a whole lot of 'getting away' time. <em>Originally</em> my plan had been to take my Pentax 645 kit as well as my (fairly newly acquired) Wista Field 4x5. I only got in to large format photography earlier this year, just after my last trip to the outback actually, and have just in the last couple of months bought this Wista as a more portable replacement for my Cambo monorail. Anyway, I <em>had</em> intended to take both systems but now I'm questioning that choice and thinking that it's probably wiser to stick to one 'pro' system (I also carry my Yashica Lynx and old Clack for street and 'arty' shots respectively). As much as I'm loving the infinite depth of field available with the 4x5, I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until I am more proficient with the view camera, and then taking it as my main kit? In the mean time, for this trip, stay with my tried & true 645 and liberate myself from the inevitable indecision as to which camera to take on each scouting trip! </p>

<p>As much as I would love the option of the juicier 4x5 chromes, and being able to shoot panorama's with the roll back, maybe I'd be better to just keep my mind on one system at a time. what are your thoughts?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Steve</p>

<p>Fully agree with Andrew. How many pictures do you plant to make in a day? Multiply that by 30 days. How do you plan to store the film? My impression of Australian outback is a hot, dusty place. Not the best for storing, loading and unloading, and even exposing, large format sheets (not to mention processing). Even on pano, you get 4 or 6 exposures on roll film, against 16 on 645.</p>

<p>I'd personally stick with the 645, especially if you are going to be doing a lot of photography. I'd store the film, used and unused in a cooler. It doesn't have to have coolpacks, but it will keep the overall temp lower/more stable for the film. Just open it up at night to let it cool down and shut it in the morning. I'd take out all the film you think you'll shoot that day in the morning that way you aren't opening and shutting the cooler throughout the day. Frankly though, aging of the film probably won't be a serious issue over the course of a single month unless you leave the windows rolled up a lot (then with 130-140F temps in the car, film aging is probably going to be a real consideration).<br />Remember those extra liters of water, petrol AND motor oil. Don't forget about some water/coolant for the radiator as well, just in case. A good jack, heavy weight rope, block and tackle and at least a 2x2ft 3/4" plywood board are good ideas as well. This in case you get stuck in some sand/mud. Alternately to lift it or pull it out of a bad situation.</p>

<p>Oh, lastly a car powered air pump for the tires. That way you can inflate/deflate them as necessary (I am hoping you have a full sized spare or two. If the car comes with a full sized spare, I'd strap another one to the roof/back of the car along with at least a 10 liter petrol can.</p>

<p>G'day guys,</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. Yes, the Aussie outback is indeed hot dry and dusty, you need to keep a lot of things in big snap-lock bags, otherwise the bull-dust gets into everything!</p>

<p>Like I said, I had pretty much made up my mind to just take the 645, I know what I'm like, if I have too many options I will just end up running around in circles stressing myself out rather than capturing the images I'm out there for. I think when I have embelished my 4x5 kit a little more to feel confident that I could capture any scene I was presented with, <em>then</em> I will bring it along, and leave the medium format gear at home.</p>

<p>I'm very much looking forward to the trip now, I have an exhibit in a gallery opening this evening, visiting my brand new nephew tomorrow, then on the road before dawn on Sunday, ahhhh, let the peace and inspiration begin! I grew up on a sheep farm just shy of the 'true' outback, so I always have a great sense of 'home coming' as soon as I get dust stuck in my nose!</p>

<p>Thanks again for the input, and making my decision more definite!</p>

<p>Cheers, and happy travels!</p>

<p>Steve</p>