Removal of pentax/Leica M9 topic

bob_stevenson

<p>For some mysterious reason the recent thread about the relative values of Pentax to leica M9 has been transfered to the leica forum.</p>

<p>I think this is a great pity as there was / is much relevance when looking at the values of current pentax models. Thye original poster asked whether the new M9 was a cost effective upgrade from a k20. While the M9 is a totally different animal to any DSLR, the discussion of the 'whys and wherefores' between these opposing aproaches to digital image capture can only help Pentax (and all other makes) DSLR users and, hopefully, jog the attention of the makers / importers themselves.</p>

<p>I normally don't comment on moderator actions but in this case it seems that the original thread was really intended for discussion amongst the Pentaxians in this forum. Moving it to rangefinder forum will likely result in either a) the death of the thread because they won't care or will dismiss it as trolling or b) ugly responses to a thread interpreted as trolling. I didn't see the comment that John mentions, in fact there's hardly mention of the K20D at all in that thread. No wonder mods moved it.</p>

<p>I see nothing wrong with moving the thread.</p>

<p>I use a Pentax K20D because I like Pentax pancakes/Limiteds And I believe it's more rugged than other prosumers...and I didn't like what we all know about M8. I had plenty of fine lenses that'd adapt well Leica. If doubt I'll ever own M9 but I do own plenty of film equip and scanners.</p>

<p>I'd own 5DII or better if I was still paying my bills that way..or maybe Nikon...just as virtually all pros do today...they're smart people, generally. I wouldn't own M8 for all the reasons Leica enthusiasts all know.</p>

<p>M9 price isn't unreasonable...not as expensive as top Canons or Nikons ...considering the versatility of digital (color, B&W, iso etc), $7000 plus lenses is a LOT cheaper than the collection of SLRs and MF many of us used 20/30 years ago...in my case Hass, several 6X7, Toyo G, a pair of Canon F1, not to mention lenses, when I paid my bills that way...most commercial/studio/AV professionals did something like that (wedding/portrait folks were different breeds...rich or poor.. another story...many used long-roll 70mm or 46mm or even split 5X7...all forgotten on P.N :-)</p>

<p>A good DSLR or two along with an M9 and various lenses literally cost less today and would do the same jobs as typical pro film camera accumulations . $7000 cameras are easy to afford if they're central to a good business...cars and houses waste more money a lot faster, right?</p>

<p>Hi Folks,<br>

I looked at the thread and was contemplating what to do with it myself because it did seem to be drifting off topic (I even went over to Leica to see what the issue was) however I didn't take action at that point. I would suggest one of the other moderators did move it over because the content was deemed more appropiate for their forum. It's over there, its healthy, look at it as a wonderful opportunity to get to share your perspectives with one of the other forms.</p>

<p>Because of Photonet's policy to keep operational issues out of the user forums I'm going to cut off discussion at this time.</p>