graflex pacemaker and flash

cole_paquette

<p>Hello, whenever I use the flash to trigger the solenoid on my pacemaker, it takes 2 to 3 tries, and using the remote cord can take up to 6 clicks of the button, and this is with new batteries. are the batteries half dead when i bought them? or does my flash contacts and circuits need to be scoured? or does the solenoid need to be adjusted(i have it set for the least amount of clicks to trigger)?<br>

also, using the side switch, it will take many pulls of that to go into time or bulb, and bulb clicks right back out, same wit the solenoid, so for time and bulb i'm having to use a shutter cable. how do i fix this?</p>

<p>1. Sounds like you have the cord to the solenoid from the flash in the wrong socket on the flash;<br>

2. The switch contacts on the need cleaning;<br>

3. The solenoid is dirty or rusted and the plunger will not slide freely in the solenoid housing, this is my guess as to the cause of the problem;<br>

4. Yes the solenoid needs to be adjusted if you plan to use flash bulbs see <a href="http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=1453&highlight=solenoid+adjustment">http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=1453&highlight=solenoid+adjustment</a> , also the linkage from the solenoid to the shutter trigger should have a little slack in it so that when current is first applied the plunger starts moving before trying to move the shutter trigger lever. Try 1/10 of the solenoid travel as a starting point for slack in the link if it is currently taunt.;<br>

5. <a href="http://www.graflex.org/">Graflex.org</a> is a good source for info on Graflex made equipment and many service and user manuals are available at <a href="http://www.southbristolviews.com/">southbristolviews.com</a> .;<br>

6. Now the shutter speeds: correct operation: T or time- cock shutter, trip shutter, shutter stays open until either the trip lever is pushed a second time or the shutter speed dial is turned to another speed; B or bulb- shutter opens on press of shutter release and stays open until the shutter release is released. A locking cable release can be attached and the shutter locked open on shutters that do not have a T setting. Cock the shutter before tripping the shutter.<br>

7. If T and or B will not operate properly set the shutter speed to 1 second, open the aperture fully, cock and trip the shutter syncing with a clock with a second hand and observe that the shutter blades go from fully closed to fully open to fully closed within .8 to 1.2 seconds. Test 3 to 5 times, let rest 30 minutes to 2 hours and retest. If the shutter is slow it is ready for a clean and lube.</p>

<p>Pure experience speaking here, every old flashgun I have used has needed to be taken apart and all the contact surfaces cleaned. The are all 50+ years old. PS: I still shoot flashbulbs, and most of the bulb are almost as old as the flashguns, but they still work.</p>

<p>Bulb is supposed to click back out. It keeps the shutter open as long as the trip lever is held down (deadman switch). Time is a toggle on and off (push to open, push again to close). But also, the cable from the side release to the lens board probably needs to be disassembled, lubricated, and put back together. They get crudded up over the years.</p>

<p>I used the solenoid trip the shutter, and the shutter to fire the flash, although I do have the solenoid set so it can sync the flash as well.</p>

<p>You might be interested in the stuff about press cameras on my website (www.graywolfphoto.com/presscameras/).</p>

<p>Hi, I'm Jack (Woody)I have used these cameras on and off for 50 yrs and, going back into it again. To me, it sounds like a shutter problem. To proove this, remove shutter from camera. Just take off the lensboard. Hold lens up to light, Trip shutter at 1 sec. Should sound nice and smoot and should only stay open for about 1 nsec. Also try T and B Fire the shutter from the lver on shutter. This will prove if problem is in shutter or the linkage. If problem is in shutter and, you think about replacing it make a note of the lens focal length as range finder has a cam for that lens. Jack (Woody)</p>

<p>the shutter itself seems fine, i swapped it into a borrowed crown, worked fine. however, the side trigger switch on mine is really hard to use on anything other than timed settings. and i checked the flash, it looks pretty gritty inside. are there any places that still service these old cameras and the flashes?</p>