Exchanging D90 - Upgrade to D300?

chauncey_huffman

<p>After a lot of shopping and comparing between the D90 and D300 I finally bought a D90 from KEH.com about 2 weeks ago. I've been having problems with an "err" message on a consistent basis so I contacted KEH about returning it. They were GREAT and set up the exchange quickly. My question is, knowing what I know about the possible "err" message on the D90 should I bite the bullet and pay the $525 difference to upgrade to the D300? I am using this in a professional manner for studio portraits and weddings. I know that the D300 will be much better for weddings, but will I notice much of a difference in my studio work? Even if I will, is it worth that much $. By the way, I JUST have enough $ left in my startup budget for this upgrade, I won't have anything left for advertising etc, I will have to earn the money before I can advertise. If I just exchange the D90 for another D90 I'll have that $500 to put towards advertising and miscellaneous. Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>In the studio, probably not. For weddings and studio work, I would guess the real differentiator would be the Auto focus system, and obviously the D300 is the better body for that. But I imagine for studio work, when you have time to compose and frame your shots (and you're not trying to catch people "in the moment") then it won't matter so much.<br>

Maybe the viewfinder coverage will make a difference, too. If it were me, I'd go with the D90 and get some adverts up.</p>

<p>A problem like the one you mention isn't a recurring them with the D90, so don't let that bother you.<br /><br />What you do need to think about is whether the D300's much better AF system and more rugged build is likely to make a practical difference in your shooting. What will you be using for a backup camera when you do weddings? If you're cutting it that close, it makes me wonder about what you've got for redundancy in lenses, lighting, etc., too.<br /><br />If you've been splitting those kinds of hairs, financially, then it seems worth asking what lenses you plan to use, and what sort of lighting gear in the studio. Light, and your light modifiers are going to play a much bigger role in the studio than will the differencs between those two camera bodies.<br /><br />But shooting in the field? Or while standing in the drizzle while the B&G dash for the reception... or doing portraits on the beach, in the wind? The D300's build and sealing start to matter more.</p>

<p>I don't think the situation has changed much since you asked essentially the same question a couple of weeks ago: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UElO">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UElO</a></p>

<p>If you think the D90 is for you, just exchanges for one that is not defective. For weddings, I would get the D300 as I explained in the previous thread.</p>

<p>About a year ago I bought the new Renault Laguna 2.0.<br>

The central unit failed after just...800 m from the seller's shop!<br>

I had to wait about a month for a new unit to come from France.<br>

I never regretted the fact that I haven't returned the car after this bad, first experience!<br>

Moral: even the better brands (of cameras, cars, cosmetics, food, etc) have a small percentage of fails but this is just a small ... percentage! You simply had some bad luck, good news is that KEH accepted the return!!<br>

I'd say go for another D90 if that was your first choice (I suppose you chose the camera because it was sutisfying your needs, right?) and save your dollar for something else.<br>

I have the same camera for a few months and I am totally happy with it!</p>

<p>rgrds</p>

<p>I doubt you'll see any difference in images made from either camera. The two big things about the D300 are slightly faster sync and fast AF. People don't seem to move very fast at the weddings I've been to. If you photo sports, especially in low light, the D300 would have an advantage. I use both a D300 and my older D80 and honestly can't tell which camera made which image when I make a print. I would hold on and see what prices are on D300 in January. I'll bet they drop significantly as the D300s rolls out, and first of the year most camera gear is at low ebb price wise.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Invest the $525 in something that will get the business going, and the D300 will be there soon enough. Investing that money now in a body that offers some extra features you may not need all that often, and then you'd still need money for ads and marketing.... so from a business perspective, there really is only one option here. First get the customers flowing in.</p>

<p>And as a change of perspective on this incident: it thought you a good thing too! Good service, as you have been offered, is worth far more. Enjoy the feeling of knowing you bought in the right place ;-) Behing every cloud, there is a silver lining after all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>had a bad experience with the D90 and I'm gun shy about getting another, even though it's much cheaper.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can go to the D90 group on Flickr or Dpreview and found very few complains about its QC. It is very reliable and I have one.</p>

<p>I have both the D90 and a D300s. I love both of them. I have also had the "err" issue with my D90 but found that pressing the lens release and slightly loosening the lens and putting it back in place corrected it. On mine it seemed to be caused by the contacts on the plastic mounted kit lens (18-105 VR) not connecting 100% of the time. It has only happened a few times with that lens and has never happened with any of my metal mount lenses. (although that kit lens is a good lens). <br>

Do you have a backup camera? I would stick with the D90 and look to purchase a D300 or a D700 as your main camera in the future and then take both of them with you. I use my D300 for the formal shots and use the D90 for the walk-around (second shooter) shots and as a backup (piece of mind camera). <br>

I have used the D90 in the studio. It works well there except you have to use a hotshoe PC cord adapter but thats no big deal. The D300s is much faster and better at focusing on fast moving subjects (birds in fight or my 2 year old for example :) ) Both work very well in low light although I try to never go above ISO 400 regardless and shoot with fast lenses instead, which brings up the point that you need to also consider your glass. Summary: If you already have a good backup camera (D200 for example), and you have good lenses (fast lenses for low light wedding shots), then going to the D300 or D700 may be worth your while. <br>

Good luck<br>

Dan</p>