Do you guys use a monopod? Is it any good?

cguaimare

<p>Often and yes.<br /> <br /> You can get a really good aluminum monopod for around $50. I wouldn't get one w/ a ball head built in though, those seem to have really weak ballheads.<br /> <br /> I wouldn't fork out the cash for a carbon fiber monopod. With a monopod the weight difference is neglible, but the price difference is pretty large.</p>

<p>I'm a huge fan of the Monostats. I have a CF model and use it far more than often than my tripod. It's lighter, easier to travel with, and as effective as a tripod in about 90% of situations that I experience. To keep weight/size down, I travel with my Monostat, a Gorillapod, and a single ball head. I can't remember the last time I took a long trip with my tripod... It was probably at least 8 years ago.</p>

<p> </p>

I have a monopod and an eyelevel tripod. I have used the tripod with all three legs extended and touching the ground, but not spread out, like a monopod. It's a little stabler than a monopod. I was on some stairs.

I originally purchased my monopod to hold my strobe. I have used the monopod recently in a museum with ISO 100 film.

I think the monopod is a Velbon and includes a light-weight screw-on ball head with one control. It has three sections, collapses to 25-1/2" and extends to 58" with the it's simple ball head. To extend or collapse the monopod, there are no banded rings or flip-locks. One simply twists the shaft about 10 degrees and it'ls loose. Twist back to lock. It's pretty light, maybe 1 lb. maybe less.

I hadn't used my monopod for over 20 years, then recently, I tried using it again. And made a happy discovery. Because of the ball head, I often don't use it "straight down". I'm short enough, so that I can extend the monopod to ground at an angle like 30 degrees, use the ball head to level the camera body, and with my knees slightly bent, my two legs and the monopod act like a tripod, I've also used the monopod this way when kneeling. For me, straight up and down seems less stable.

<p>I use it a lot. Many years. So long I forget how long.... A versatile tool and plenty cheap as these support things go. Carbon fiber is just great in a monopod. I prefer lever locks to any other kind personally. Any size lens, Ace, not just for long lenses, misconception IMO. Any place and aisles especially. And get one that will maybe fit in a suitcase crosswise. Forget it as a weapon I think---I rather run like hell. :-) or use my cane sword:-)... As a walking stick I dunno... Get a walking stick too if you need one, a Wanderfreunde. Or a Leki Wandefreunde with a 1/4 inch stud in a pinch. Look it up and decide.. A Slik ball head that has a lever lock and is compact works for me for about sixty bucks or so. For you, whatever suits your budget. I have an older fat aluminum one with knobs I never use anymore since I got my Bogen CF.</p>