Metz 58AF-i and Canon 580EXII usability

<p>Having used extensively both, I think Canon is much more user friendly, at least when you use on-flash commands. Nevertheless, since last firmware upgrade (3.0), Mecablitz 58 AF-1 supports on-camera adjustments for some of its features. Once you put the flash on 1D Mark III or more recent EOS cameras, you can choose among E-TTL and manual mode, for example, and adjust flash exposure compensation. You can't interact with some of the features, notably all those specific to Metz models (such as secondary flash on/off and output). If you need an in-depth look at the commands, I suggest to download both user manuals, available on the manufacturers websites.<br>

Cheerio,</p>

<p>Christian</p>

<p>For studio use i don't mind if i have to dig a little for some settings, but for a wedding for example i have to have quick acces for compensation, changing from ettl to manual and power settings in manual.The price difference is about 150 euros where i live (Metz is cheaper).So what would you suggest?<br /> PS thanks Nadine and Christian for feedback.</p>

<p>First--I do not have the Metz 58AF-1--I have the Metz 54MZ4-i. However, I have many Metz flashes, and like them a lot. However, I have to say that Metz flashes, while good in compatibility and other features that might be absent or diminished in the Canon flash, can be finicky. If you notice Christian's other thread--I have to say that the electronics in the Metz can get 'screwy' and the unit might need to be turned off and then on for proper function to return. And since Metz must emulate ETTL, there may be a few details that might not function as perfectly as the Canon flash.</p>

<p>In addition, I notice that the Metz flashes don't recycle as fast and may be more 'delicate' than the Canon flash. I have sent my Metz 54 in several times for repair (2 or 3)--it stopped firing. This is common for wedding photographers who basically abuse their flashes by needing to fire them a lot at weddings. I've sent in my 580EX twice so far. So that is 3 to 2. Hard to say whether the Metz is more delicate or whether the abuse will get both of them equally, in the end.</p>

<p>As for changing from ETTL to manual and partial power settings--both are the same, as far as I'm concerned, in speed of use. The flash comp, though, definitely goes to the 580EX. I personally don't like flash control from the camera, but that could be just my getting used to it.</p>

<p>As for which to get--that is hard. Save for the flash comp speed, I don't see any huge advantage one way or the other.</p>

<p>I have a Metz 58 AF-1 and a Metz 550EX but I'm in the process of purchasing a 580EX II. When I first purchased the Metz, I thought it looked pretty flimsy compared to my 550EX, but I grown to like it as time went on.<br>

One of the advantages of the Metz which is the reason I purchased it is, the secondary flash which comes in handy during bounced lighting. Also you need only one button to tilt and turn the head instead of 2 buttons like on the Canon.<br>

Another good thing is that the Metz has a little more pop than the 580EX, but this is not a show stopper. The Guide number is about 2 points higher than on the Canon if that means anything to you. One thing I noticed is that the Canon's Multi Zone measuring beam works a little more consistently than on the Metz. This is very important when your'e stuck in low light situations. <br>

Also the Color temeperature on the Canon is a little warmer. I purchased the Metz because not only does it have ETTL, it also has Auto Thryistor , but now I hear the Canon 580EX II has incorporated that feature. The canon has a metal foot, the Metz has a plastic foot.<br>

When you hit any button on the Metz, the LCD automatically lights up, I'm not sure about the Canon, but I think you have to hit a button to light up the LCD . Some people say they find the Canon more intuitive and they maybe right, because everything on the Metz is Menu driven. Sometimes you have to hit a button 2 or 3 times just to get to a function which can be a little frustrating. On the Canon all you have to do is turn the wheel on the back. <br>

The Canon displays a scale at the bottom of the LCD to tell you how much Range the flash has during a shot. This is one of the best features I like about the Canon, on the other hand, the Metz just displays a number such as 25ft so you have to guess where to place your subject before you shoot. <br>

All in all both flashes have their pros and cons, I wouldn't put one over the other. Oh, the Metz has an extended Zoom range which lets you set the Zoom on the flash below the focal lenght of the lens. This is great little feature because it creates soft diffused lighting. <br>

I used the 580EX II a few times on the job so i'm not an expert. Indoors the pictures seem to come out slightly more to my liking, but can be underexposed by about 2/3 stops. Outdoors especially if you are using the Automatic function, the Metz seems to come out ahead and is more consistent. <br>

Oh I forgot, with the Canon you can use Ratios such as 3:1, 5:1, 8:1 etc for wireless lighting set-ups. The Metz only let's you turn the power down on a flash unit by percentages such as 1/1, 1/2, 1/4 etc. </p>

<p>Harry, you've half answered the question i was going to ask before i even asked it, concerning the second light. I use a lot of bounced flash, but i don't like how dead people's eyes look, does the catch light in the front make a big difference with that? I would imagine that it puts a nice little catch light in people's eyes, is that the case? Also, how does the Metz hold up on battery consumption? i go through a good 4 sets of lithiums at a wedding, should i expect the same with the Metz? thanks! </p>

<p>Harry, just for your info. Auto thyristor on the Canon 580EX II is universally thought to be inferior to Metz auto thyristor. Underexposes, like ETTL does. And it doesn't work automatically except for certain Canon bodies.</p>

<p>You do have to push a button to light up the Canon's LCD. I like the fact that the Metz displays a number. The Canon seems too vague. In any case, this doesn't matter much for automatic shooting, but for manual flash mode, having the number is more precise. The extended zoom doesn't do much for me--not that much softer, and you can manually zoom with either. My Metz 54 does produce much more neutral color balance.</p>

<p>As for the secondary reflector, I don't use it at all. I understand you can control the power of the second reflector on the 58AF-1. That's nice, but since I bounce my flash a lot, I use my Demb Diffuser or Presslite Vertex to bounce a little forward. To me it is much more subtle.</p>

<p>Now as for cons on the 580EX II, there are a couple. First is the thermal cut off, which I guess the 58AF-1 has as well. Second is the flaky contact between the flash and hotshoe, causing the flash to go into TTL, instead of ETTL, and overexposing everything--at the most inopportune moments. This latter has been well documented, and so far, I haven't run across it but I've had the flash for less than a week, although I used it on 3 weddings this last weekend. Third is the crippled PC sync on the flash. It only works with the flash out of the hotshoe, and not in Manual-Master mode. Just thought you should know.</p>

<p>"I would imagine that it puts a nice little catch light in people's eyes, is that the case? Also, how does the Metz hold up on battery consumption? "<br>

The secondary flash does create a nice catch light, but I turn it down to about 1/4 power so that it does not create harsh light or shadows. The Metz flash also comes with a flimsy white reflector that you pull out from the top to create a catch-light. As far as power consumption it is very good, much better than on my 550EX, not sure about the 580EX II...<br>

I once shot an entire Graduation with one set of batteries, about 150 shots sometimes using Full power with no problem. For weddings I would recomend the very expensive Metz battery pack which cost more than the flash itself, or you can get by with a Quantum battery I, but you have to purchase the bulky Quantum Module XKZ3 cable which runs about $50. </p>