The "Annie Leibovitz" Story

dug1

<p>Nuts! It brought no joy for me to read that article, as she's been an inspiration to many and myself. I don't know the exact circumstances, but the article seemed to portray her as someone who was/is sloppy with her finances...what with multi-year back taxes, liens and all. Even a legendary icon is not immune in this difficult economy.</p>

<p>I hope Annie comes out of it with a sense of renewal. She is surely not alone these days. My belief has always been that bigger money equals bigger problems. It is not unusual for an artist to be bad with his/her money. It is sad, but I hope she gets through it gracefully.</p>

<p><em>it sounds like bad investments and sloppy financial decisions was the problem, no one to blame.</em><br /><br />Well, execept the person/people making the bad/sloppy financial decisions. I know that when I've made such, I have only myself to blame, and do.</p>

<p>Most of us aren't in a position that people would lend us the kind of money they lent her. I'm going to guess there is at least one similarity, my "portfolio" isn't going to solve my debt problems either.</p>

<p>However, in her place, she apparently has few options. Make a lot of money fast or liquidate her assets, etc. Should she be forced into bankruptcy, she could lose the copyrights whether she wants to or not.</p>

<p><em>I'm going to guess there is at least one similarity, my "portfolio" isn't going to solve my debt problems either.</em></p>

<p>Given that her portfolio is valued at $40 million, it probably will, actually. And if she files bankruptcy she'll have considerable control over which assets to keep and which to liquidate. Considering that she also has $40 million in real estate, and her total debt seems to be $24 million, I don't think she's in much danger of the poorhouse any time soon.</p>

<p><em>Given that her portfolio is valued at $40 million</em></p>

<p>That could mean that when Annie sells it it could be that she could get over time that amount, but when the loan shark company tries to sell it, probably nobody is buying... so they keep rights to it but can't get as much money from it as they thought. :-|</p>

<blockquote>

<p>sorry--i cannot work up any sympathy for some one who has squandered money like she has--three ny townhouses--a place in rheinbeck</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm with William on this one.</p>

<p>That's 24 with <strong>SIX</strong> zeros behind it!</p>

<p>My opinion has nothing to do with WHO it is.<br>

Anyone who can squander that kind of cash deserves no sympathy from anyone....<br>

I feel the same about high priced pro sports players...anyone, who can blow that much, well; I think their eyes were bigger than their stomachs.</p>

<p>Then I read about alleged copyright infringement..I hope it's baseless, but if proven true; well, what respect I had for Ms. Liebowitz will be reduced to zero.</p>