Pricing for Mural Size Prints

daniel_caylor

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm inquiring about pricing for very large format prints. I have a client interested in my work at sizes of 6x4 feet and above. I have a few related questions as I have never dealt with prints of this size.<br>

1. I am in the Vancouver, Canada area, can anyone recommend a company to use for printing of this size? I have researched on my own and heard PAC Blue produces very good quality prints at these sizes. Can anyone confirm this or recommend another company to use?<br>

2. I don't know what to price these at. How much should I mark them up? For example. If it costs me $450 to get a print, is $1200 a good price?<br>

3. How much would you estimate I'm looking at as far as cost goes?<br>

Thanks<br>

Dan</p>

<p>My murals run about $2,000.00 for that size; you're numbers are basically right, if that's for the print only, but consider mounting costs, what material are you going to use? Using a strong backing like Sintra or Masonite will keep the print from getting damaged. Foam core is cheap, but one little ding, and your client's beautiful mural will look like a garage sale reject. Also consider how it's going to be adhered to the wall. I like a recessed frame, using Sintra. Also, check into a perservation UV overlay press mounted over the photo paper to protect it. Mounting & framing costs can easily add hundreds of dollars to the finished figures.</p>

<p>When a customer wanted a huge banner, I took a pass on the print itself, and sold one-time reproduction rights. I included the cost of re-scanning (film!) and my time for setting up the photo in a resolution and size that the printer could work with. The customer found his own printer and paid separately for the print and finishing (grommets, I think).<br>

If you keep the printing, make sure to consider the time you spend tracking down a printer and "printer liaison."</p>

<p>Daniel,<br /> I can recommend Graphik Dimensions for your printing needs. They are a professional outfit that does very good work for reasonable prices. They'll do up to 6ft wide by whatever length. I have no affiliation with them other than being a satisfied client. Their website is www.pictureframes.com. They have a printing and framing interface on their website so you can see what it will cost you. I'd guess around 300 for a 4x6 print or around 600 for a gallery-wrapped canvas in a floater frame (These are slick!) I'd triple the cost for your sale price.<br>

<br /> (just saw your last post- If that's what will make the sale and you're happy with the price I'd say go for it)<br>

<br /> Good luck,</p>

<p>Mike Bergen<br /> www.aidjoy.org</p>