Kodak Panoram No.4 - shutter and aperture

<p>Have been able to find guesstimates for the No.1 and No.3, but does anyone know (or have calculated/measured) the approximate shutter speeds (both fast and slow) and aperture setting for the Kodak Panoram No.4?<br>

If anyone posts a response and you agree or disagree please post and then we can either take a consesus, an average or work out a way to see which is correct.....<br>

Many Thanks<br>

Stuart</p>

<p>The only information I've been able to find around the net is for the Kodak Panoram No.1. Given that the No.1 and the No.4 were (give or take a few years) ["The two earlier model Panoram Kodaks were the No. 4, available between 1899 and 1924, and the No. 1, available from 1900 until 1926" on <a href="http://www.vintagephoto.tv/panoram3a.shtml">http://www.vintagephoto.tv/panoram3a.shtml</a>] manufactured and sold at the same time and for roughly the same period. My guess was they would pretty much have the same shutter speed and aperture (I have no basis for this, just hope, as I have the details for the No.1).<br>

So despite a few different answers, the values given for the No.1, from the majority of people are using them actively, are for 1/50 slow and 1/100 fast, with aperture of f11 (I have also seen stated f14 but that seems a little strange)<br>

Paul is your guess based on using the No.4 or a gut feel? I have to admit that in comparison the mechanism for the No.4 does "feel/seem" a little more ponderous and sluggish than for the No.1 because of the additional size and extra distance the mechanism covers. Anyone else got any thoughts/guesses or observations using a No.4 to expose film?<br>

I feel the only way might be to expose some film and compare to a test using a none SLR, but even then it will be based on visual observation rather than any empirical measurement (I don't have densiometers or what ever would be needed)</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>I think they were all designed for "Sunny 16" exposure on ASA 25 film on the slow speed, the fast speed being for "very bright" shots. So figure EV13 for the slow speed, and EV14 for the fast speed.<br>

With modern ISO 100 to 160 film, use the fast speed in the sun. In shadows, I'd have to consider ISO 400 speed film.<br>

I just got my No. 1 working, it's nice to have the flexibility of multiple film speeds! First roll was Verichrome Pan, second roll was TMax 100.<br>

The only thing I can feed my No. 3A is Verichrome Pan 122 (expired but still pretty darned good). I'll often push the VP a bit. Of course, the 3A offers a lot more detail with the much larger negative. (But I have to scan in two parts and stitch, which is a pain!) Of course, a plus of Verichrome Pan is it's generous exposure latitude.</p>