Little time, hard debate.....

dougscroggins

<p>Hello all. Let me start as always for thanking you for your input on this question. I have recently saved up some money and have two purchase options to decide between that I'm hoping you can help me with. I currently have an XSi and a 580EXII flash. I am an amateur and shoot for friends and family at little cost. I find myself shooting with my 50mm f/1.8 almost entirely for the shallow depth of field but I am noticing I am missing some good candid's due to the fixed mm on a prime lens. I have $500 and have decided to buy the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 to solve the problem. However, a company has just released a sturdy wireless triggering device that I could purchase in addition to all of the gear needed to place my flash off camera, for even less than the cost of the lens. So my question is this. Would I get better shots, and surely more creative ones, in setting up off camera lighting or should I go with the lens since I do 99% of my shooting outdoors anyway? Please help as I have a photo shoot on Saturday and if I go with the lens I can get it before the shoot. Thanks again.</p>

<p>You say you are missing shots because of the lack of a lens. I would solve that problem before worrying about shots you are not sure you are missing. Consider the Tamron 28-75 also, depending on if you need the wider 17-50mm lens or the slightly longer 28-75 lens to get the shots you are missing. Similar price (just under 400.00) and good reviews. I do not own it, so I'm just letting you know what I've read about it.</p>

<p>I would prioritize getting the shots you're missing before other improvements. But don't you own the budget 18-55 IS kit lens that comes with most rebels? If so, when lighting is reasonable or flash is possible (most cases), you shouldn't be missing any candids that the Tamron would cover.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>2 cents worth, It takes a lot lot more then a wireless trigger to be a master of flash lighting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And it generally takes more than one flash. Which gets expensive :D<br /> <br /> Don't forget your Rosco gel kit for $8.75</p>

<p>Okay so I've come into some luck. I recently got a $200 gift card to a camera store from a friend who I have done shots for at no charge. I will be using that to help get both the lens and the wireless triggers. Awesome! Thanks for the input everybody. I would like to address a few things that came up though. I do not have the kit lens so this lens will come in very handy. I do have a 28-90mm lens that came with the camera but it is an f/4.0, non usm, non IS, so it stayed in my bag most all of the time. <br>

Bill: I tried to set my flash off camera some time ago via a sync cord but the local camera shop seemed unable to help me figure out how to do it since my XSi doesn't have a sync cord socket. We tried mounting a "shoe mount" adapter to the top of the camera that was outfitted with a sync cord socket but we couldn't get a cord that had the proper ends to connect it to the 580EXII. I would still love to figure out how to accomplish it as a backup in the event that the wireless triggers I am getting go faulty. I will check out the site you mentioned and any more info you could provide would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much, all of you. Doug.</p>