Wireless Trigger under $100

<p>There are a lot of triggers on Ebay for under $100, most have mixed results/reliability. I see 'Cactus' recommended pretty often. I bought a set of cybersyncs for around $130 (transmitter and 1 receiver) and they have been perfect so far, plus they have a very long range (longer than I'm likely to ever need). If you need them to transmit ettl data, you'll probably have to spend more.</p>

<p>Thanks for the answers. Nathan, what is ettl? I know that ttl is through the lens, is e for electronic? I don't know anything at all about wireless transmitters, I'm trying to read up here and there, but I know I want to use one b/c I don't want a sync cord on the floor especially since I'll be shooting a lot of babies and children.</p>

<p>As Ken says, if you're getting paid, get something with 100% reliability. You can't be explaining to a client that you didn't get that last shot because your fleabay trigger didn't work.<br>

Wireless TTL flash metering requires something like RadioPoppers or Pocket Wizard TT/miniTT transmitters. With fleabay triggers or Cybersyncs you get trigger only, so you camera and flash must be on Manual mode.<br>

Canon and Nikon both have proprietary eTTL metering systems for their brand-name speedlights.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>I photo outdoors in the worst winter weather the Dakotas can come up with. The CyberSyncs fire every time--in blizzards, in temps as cold as 32 below zero, in sleet storms, whatever. They always fire. I use Energizer lithiums in them when temps start going below minus 20. Otherwise, they work 100% with NiMH batteries. I have x8 receivers and x2 transmitters. None have ever failed, at least out to 400 some feet.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I believe that is the system that uses all the pre-flash firing to fully meter the shot, and it is much more expensive to get the transmitter setup for that. I assume as Charles says that it is for their brand only...I use a third party Vivitar 285hv, so I can't speak to any experience with it. You don't say what flash you are using....I personally am not worried about having ttl or ettl, but that is me.</p>

<p>For 39.95 on eBay --- which includes 3 receivers and a transmitter, shooting manual is fine. Like most any photographer shooting weddings, or outdoor portraits, the settings of your camera and flash can be had by taking a few shots (experiment prior to your formal setting shots).</p>

<p>I use two Metz 45 CL-4's, two Jianisi receivers (multi-channel) attached to silver umbrellas on light stands, one for the main and the other for fill. I set the main to 1/2 power, and the fill to 1/4 power... perfect for small groups and/or B/G shots.</p>

<p>I set the Olympus E-3 or E-30 to manual with settings of 1/125 sec, f/5.6, 100 ISO. It's my standard settings that I know work in any outdoor lighting condition, even in harsh sunlight. I beat the sun light.<br>

I've shot the Metz with TTL, using the adapter for the Olympus E-series. In this case, the Metz 45 CL-4 has to set straight on, no turning the head or bounce flash... the TTL seems not to work well. But staright on it works fine... I just doen't like the harsh shadows. </p>

<p>When shooting without the Metz setup as described in the 2nd paragraph, I use the Olympus FL-50 (TTL works in all settings) on-camera flash and a Gary Fong diffuser. This works very well when doing the photojournalistic style.</p>

<p>Even though the Jiansi triggers are cheap Chinese products, they work well and are reliable. The range is about 30 meters (close to 100 feet), which is more than enough. I haven't had the opprotunity of shooting a wedding in sub-freezing temperatures... maybe I'll add that to my bucket list... LOL!</p>