Names

briannaras

<p>I'm trying to figure out a name for my company. I've done a little research on the pros & cons for naming your business after yourself as well as some catch phrase. I'm curious about nicknames. I grew up being called "Breezy Ann". Would Breezy Ann photography be too cheesy for a name? I feel it could go either way but I'm interested in other people's advice. Thanks!</p>

<p>I'm not a fan of using someone's name as a studio name. Your business can take many different directions in the future. If you employ other shooters, then everyone who doesn't get "Breesy Ann" will feel they're not getting the same quality as those who do. Should you want to sell your business someday, using a personal name will make things very difficult for the new owner...-Aimee</p>

<p>Aimee, actually a new owner has some benefits to buying a business with someone else's name on it. 30 years ago my brother Bill bought a place called Bob's Bicycle shop. I worked there for a time and on occasion people would come in wanting a better deal or faster service because "they had known BOB for years." That told me right there that if they had known my brother, they didn't know him well enough to know his name.<br>

If you name your company after yourself and you sell it, you're pretty much putting control of your reputation into the hands of another.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you name your company after yourself and you sell it, you're pretty much putting control of your reputation into the hands of another.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm uncertain as to whether you think this is a good or bad thing? Seems like it could go either way. I guess if you're retiring, then perhaps whatever happens might not matter, but if you're changing careers, it might matter a lot....-Aimee</p>