<p>I'm sure this is an age old question (i'm not age old, inexperienced and have never processed film before) but... how do i develop technical pan?<br>

damn the slow death of film and god bless ebay, i've managed to get afew rolls of 120 tech pan and some technidol developer. I've looked at the kodak website and understood it to say that rating the film at a low ISO and processing in technidol would give the low contrast "smooth" pictures i've seen. It also gave me the impression that a higher ISO rating and a different developer could produce the "harsh" high contrast pictures i've seen.<br>

It would be nice to produce both of these "looks", So...<br>

Can anyone tell me if i'm right?<br>

Can i get a better picture using a different developer?<br>

Should i bracket my exposures?<br>

Would i need to adjust the times listed on the website as the film is 5 years out of date and was stored in a garage not fridge/freezer?<br>

Any input would be gratefully received, Cheers</p>

<p>With a "few" rolls available, I'd recommend you use Technidol (if you have some), and follow Kodak's instructions to the letter, particularly with respect to using a stainless steel tank and reel, dropping the film into the developer in the dark, and agitating exactly as described. Finding Technidol is getting hard now.<br>

Slow speed films are very stable, I wouldn't suggest any proactive EI or development adjustments.</p>

<p>Chris, Technidol is a good idea if you have some. I don't, so the alternative I use is Rodinal at 68F, diluted 1:300, for 12 minutes using standard agitation. The negatives are beautiful and it doesn't matter if you're in harsh light or completely flat light. The other developer I've had equally good results with is 510-Pyro.</p>

<p>If you want to get more contrast out of Tech Pan, rate it at 25 and develop it in D-76 1:1 for 7 minutes. For more contrast than that, try some HC-110 or Dektol, but I couldn't tell you how to rate the film.</p>

<p>I tried a roll in Russia, the film was processed in Hamburg in a lab that had never heard of it. Very disappointing so now this roll is only a memory of what could have been.</p>

<p>Ah memories, a pro lab with a pro processor great with b+w in Miami. That was a guy named Ben Brain, my last goog of him shows he's doing well.</p><div>00UH2o-166777784.jpg.5c62d1138ec44c2c667635fec992fcbd.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...

<p>I have about 190 rolls of Tech Pan (TP 120) that have been stored in a photo lab on the shelf. Most of the dates are 1988 / 1992 / 1993.<br>

What kind of shelf life does it have. I have some on the classified adds here on Photo.net, but I want to make sure that I am not selling something that has no chance of being good.</p>

<p>Has anyone shot with and developed Technical Pan from the late 80's early 90's lately?<br>

Thank You,<br>

-Matt</p><div>00UhBc-178961684.jpg.122c9113b35614d295bef220a03dcd39.jpg</div>