Canon 40D continual power errors

jasna_hodzic

<p>Around a year ago (July 9th 2008 to be exact...) my Canon 40D body simply died only a month or 2 after I bought it. It came during horrible timing as I was in the middle of a photography program in Baltimore. I sent the body to Canon and they fixed the problem for free, saying they replaced the "pcd assembly." Afterwards, it worked fine.<br>

During that time I posted a question on this forum for advice before I sent it in :<br>

http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Q6Wo<br>

Now, a year later, my family and I are in Europe on vacation. In anticipation of the trip (and because I was planning to already), I bought 2 new lenses, some filters etc. In the airport, I wanted to take a picture of my dad, but the camera wouldn't turn on. I fully charged up both batteries and it still did not work. I removed the back up battery and basically did everything I could. So here I am, in Sweden, with 4 lenses, filters, a tripod, great equipment, but no body.<br>

What the hell is wrong with my body-I take good care of it, I don't see why a camera I bought a year ago would malfunction twice. My warranty just expired, so I'm pretty much screwed in terms of getting a free fix.<br>

Did I just get horribly unlucky in the 40D that I bought...<br>

This incident is making me re-think the quality of Canon products in general. </p>

<p>[[so I'm pretty much screwed in terms of getting a free fix.]]</p>

<p>I would not be so quick to jump to this conclusion. It absolutely sucks to be out on a trip like this with a dead camera, but Canon may indeed fix it again for free. I would contact them.</p>

<p>Sinh, did you get an "error 30" notice on your 40d? A friend of mine recently bought a 50d and had a shutter issue with this error 30. He returned it to Canon and they replaced the shutter. Wondering if this is an isolated problem with some of Canon's bodies or if it is more widespread.</p>

<p>Brian, I got the Error 99. Everytime I tried to take a shot Error 99 appeared, I removed the battery and tried another shot, still Error 99. I did all the usual stuff like removing the battery, cleaning the contacts, swaping lenses/memory, nothing helped so I decided to bring the camera to Canon.</p>

<p>I had a problem with error 99, too. Have the same camera. The first time I bought it, I tried it with one of my off-brand lenses, (which pretty much works in most of my other cameras), and it kept having that error. All my other lenses work fine, most of them are canon, only one is not (cheapie Kodak one, but it works in the camera fine).<br>

So I returned that camera just to make sure, and bought the same one again. It only works on the first picture with that particular lens, and then pops with a "contact error" (meaning the contacts are supposedly dirty, but I know they're not). I figure has something to do with that particular len's connection to my camera. I've HEARD it's a little more finicky on what glass it accepts. But, duuno if that's the problem or just an issue that needs to be fixed in the 40D's. I don't use that piece very much unless it's on another camera, so it wasn't worth it for me to try to send it in. I've been very happy with it otherwise.<br>

But of course, I'm sure it is more for you (go with what they say-contact canon), especially with all the nice stuff you have to go with it! The other thought is if you are taking that much overseas, why not an extra body? Just my 2 cents. Hope all works out for you! :)</p>

<p>I bought a new body in Sweden, worked fine for a few days...and of course now I'm in Amsterdam I get the Error 99 message. I'm almost 100% sure it's the shutter because every time I open the CF slot or the battery slot, I hear the shutter depress.<br>

Now I have two faulty bodies to lug around.<br>

:(</p>