Recommendation for HP5+ in microphen at 200iso

tim_kohlman

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>Can anyone give a recommended development time for Ilford HP5+ developed in Microphen stock solution at 20 deg C for 200iso.</p>

<p>I've found the following development times for HP5+ in Microphen stock<br>

400iso - 6.5min<br>

800iso - 8min<br>

1600iso - 11min<br>

3200iso - 16min<br>

6400iso - 20.5min</p>

<p>I'm trying to do a demonstration on pushing & pulling film so we're going to do some experiments with HP5+ at different developments.</p>

<p>Looking at the datasheets of the film, it's not adviced to go below 400iso, but it is possible!<br>

http://ivin.info/download/Films/HP5_Plus.pdf<br>

Well, they don't give data for Microphen, but looking at the developing time curve at various iso settings and the story on lower iso's, <strong>I'd go for 5m40 at 20 degs</strong> .<br>

From what I read, never go below 5 minutes with HP5 plus.<br>

And better use another film for anything below 400iso.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>With shorter developing times you might get more consistent results by pre-filling the tank with developer and - all in the dark, of course - placing the reel with film loaded into the pre-filled tank. Then cap it and agitate normally with the lights on. For a larger tank - two reels or more - it may be a good practice to dump the developer the same way, in the dark with the tank lid removed. The idea is to minimize the effect of pouring delays on short development times.</p>

<p>yep, I know it's not recommended with microphen and I can't find anyone who has tried it before (probably for a good reason). But, this is an experiment so failure is always an option! And I want to use the same developer for all films to demonstrate the difference in contrast and grain with different EI's</p>

<p>If anyone is interested, I can post up pictures of the results. I'm running a class on exposure and push processing and we are going to test out HP5+ at EI 200 - 6400 under controlled lighting and the recommended development times.</p>

• 4 years later...