M4 body, was this a good buy?

peter_im

<p>I just bought a M4 body from Adorama on eBay, it was a bit of an impulse buy and I won it without being able to ask the seller some questions.<br /> It's clearly a user body, with a fair bit of dings and scratches, but supposedly "in working condition", it has a "G" rating and comes with a 60 day warranty.<br /> How soon can I expect to need to take it in for a CLA? For 480 USD, I feel like it was quite a steal, but being on a student budget, I'm a bit weary about keeping it if it'll take too much money on repairs, etc. Damn impulse buys..</p>

<p>Here's the link for the auction:<br>

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230365846281&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT</p>

<p>It's hard to say Peter. It was an okay buy, but given the wear and tear on the body, it may have been knocked around a lot, and a photo journalism camera. I always assume a CLA is in order when I buy equipment off fleabay, just to know it is going to work correctly. OTOH, you can't go too wrong with a guarantee at that price. I did the same thing tonight. Bought a Minolta Hi-matic F rangefinder for $9.99. The shipping was more money. Not sure why nobody bid on it. I hope that isn't a sign.</p>

<p>Peter<br>

If you are at all unhappy with the quality when it arrives, you can contact me for info on how to return it - you have 7 days. Plus there is a mechanical warranty.</p>

<p>Sincerely<br>

<strong>Helen Oster<br />Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong><br>

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com<br>

www.adorama.com</p>

<p>Peter, this is a Leica. They're built like tanks, and can take a serious beating without batting an eyelid (or a shutter ...). If Adorama state it's in good funtcional condition, it almost certainly is. And for that money, I wouldn't give a dam about cosmetics. You probably got the 2009 World Deal. Shoot some film with it, and you'll find out soon enough if there's something wrong.</p>

Slightly off-topic, but I just looked at the auction and could not help but wonder about the rating definitions.

<p>

Considering what the average person would normally associate with the word "good", the definition (<i>"appears to have been used very heavily with multiple dings, scrapes, scratches and heavy brassing. Glass may have fungus, excessive dust and/or scratches that can affect picture quality."</i>) reads rather euphemistic, to say the least ;-)

<p>Thanks for the input so far everyone. I do think I am being a bit over-concerned, I am happy that I could find a real user M body that I can start my Leica experience with (yes this is my first Leica) seeing as how they seem rather rare. But first, I gotta now find some glass to go with it. Ah the wonderful world of camera ownership..<br>

Helen, thanks for the response, I'll let you guys know if there's anything up with the camera once I receive it.</p>

<p>This one is a user but not a beater and looks used consistent with its age. Take a few rolls and see how it works. If it works, which it probably does, send it in for a full cleaning and tune up, and replace the covering (coverings about $20 on fleecebay).<br>

What is expensive on these rigs is shutter replacement; you dont want to mess wit that.</p>

<p>If the camera is working, do you think I'd be doing it much harm by just shooting it as is for a couple months? I'm going to be moving to Japan for a year in a month, and I'm thinking it'd make more sense to get the CLA there where it seems to be more available and (hopefully) cheaper than here in Canada..</p>

<p>By the way, I just picked up a rigid Summicron 50/2 for 500 CAD, never thought I'd be able to get a Leica outfit for just over a grand..</p>

<p>If it works (focus, shutter, light tight) and will get regular use, I wouldn't CLA just for the sake of it. I have had a similar dilema with an M3 but after a half hour on the phone with CRR in Luton, who were exceptionally helpful, this is my conclusion. I don't think you can cause any harm by continuing to "just shoot" for as long as possible - when it needs a service you'll know.<br>

The Rigid Summicron 50 is such a nice lens too, you have done well.</p>

<p>Peter<br>

<br />I don't know where you are in Canda, but you can not get better work done for a better price than from Jerry at Kindermann in Toronto: my experience there is excellent! My experience with anything Leica in Japan tells me it will be much more expensive there.<br>

For starters, and $50 you can not do better than a selected Russian lens- the 50mm f2 Industar is great at that price. They are regulars on the auction site.</p>

<p>My suggestion: Most important to put couple of rolls though it as soon as possible. Before you leave for Japan, before you do anything. Just to ensure that it really works. If it works, it works. So use it. I would not do a full service on a camera I have just bought unless there is something clearly wrong with it, and in that case I would try to get some compensation from the seller. A year or two later I would consider doing a full overhaul if I am still relying on the camera as a working tool. But that I would only decide after using it for at least a year.</p>

<p> Adorama is the best place I know of in NYC to buy from. I worked a couple of blocks away and had my choice of B&H and Adorama and always came back to Adorama. They would take time to talk to you and I never had any problems from paper, film, chemistry to cameras. Thats why I still deal with them. As far as your camera goes, you get what you pay for. Thats on the low end but hopefully you won't have any problems. I wish I had gotten it, have fun.</p>