Casual users setups. How much is too much?

tdigi

<p>David, I may have to get some form of compact like the G9, the new G11 looks pretty good as does some of the other offerings from Canon, Panasonic, Oly. To make lugging the 5D2 easier I picked up a Kata DC 441 bag. Very light and compact and it easily fits the camera with a lens attached another lens and a flash. Room to spare with the little side pockets too as well as a rain cover. I have an urban disguise 20 but its a bit snug with the 5D and my UD 35 is to much bag for most situations. </p>

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p><em>I love this site and the forums but trashing other photographers because they have a different opinion and aren't a member of our club is just childish.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>None of those are the reasons that KR's reputation is so poor.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>KR's comments are hit-or-miss but to dismiss anything he says because of that is ad hominem.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. Look up <em>ad hominem</em> .</p>

<p>Dismissing the notion that he is an <em>authority</em> is done because a) many have figured out his schtick, b) quite a few of his opinions turn out to be dead wrong, c) there are so many truly knowledgeable writers on photography issues. For all I know he may be a really, really nice guy in person.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Though it has some difficulties in the AF department the Olympus digital Pen get very enthousiastic reviews concerning the image quality.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>These little 4/3 rangefinder type cameras are looking pretty interesting. I think that the final word has yet to be written on them, but I'll keep an eye on this.</p>

<p>Knowing how small a APS-C rangefinder could be made (smaller than 35mm rangefinder) and the level of image quality possible from such a beast (at least as good as 35mm film), I still think that such a camera could sell like crazy. Not sure whether it would be better to make it with a very good little zoom or go for an old-school approach and produce some very small and high quality interchangeable lenses.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>

<blockquote>

<p>No. Look up <em>ad hominem</em> .<br>

Dismissing the notion that he is an <em>authority</em> is done because a) many have figured out his schtick, b) quite a few of his opinions turn out to be dead wrong, c) there are so many truly knowledgeable writers on photography issues. For all I know he may be a really, really nice guy in person.</p>

</blockquote>

</p>

<p>No. Look up straw man fallacy, which you just committed. (Really, I know my fallacies.) I did not propose that KR is an authority, rather that the fact that any given commentary was written by KR does not influence its truth value.</p>

<p>What I said was exactly correct.</p>

<p>Tommy asked for opinions on bag size and complexity, and posted a link to KR's commentary on the issue. You responded with an anti-KR comment instead of saying anything about bag size and complexity. You committed a classic ad hominem.</p>

<p>In my small backpack -</p>

<ul>

<li>Canon 5D MK11</li>

<li>16-35 F2.8L USM</li>

<li>24-105 F4L IS USM (my walk around lens)</li>

<li>70-200 F2.8L IS USM</li>

<li>580EX Flash</li>

<li>Polarizer Filter</li>

<li>Couple of ND filters</li>

<li>Lens cleaning stuff / blower</li>

</ul>

<p>Currently my small backpack carries my Rebel XS, the 18-55 f3.5/5.6 IS and my 75-300 f4-56 III, always I carry my tripod and my 580 EXII external flash with the ST-E2 Transmiter, a couple of filters and that is about it. However I am going to buy the 18-200 and a 60 macro lens to take instead of the other two lenses.</p>

<p>Tommy,<br>

As is clear from the number of responses you have received in so few days, this is a great question. My own equipment has evolved over the years as I have become more capable behind the lens, and more aware of the types of photographs I enjoy making. What I have learned is that I am most satisfied being able to carry the entirety of my equipment in a good 'ole Tamrac Superlight 5 plus tripod:</p>

<p>- Canon 450D (XSi)<br>

- Tamron SP 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6<br>

- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS<br>

- Tamron AF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 UD<br>

- Two ND grad. filters from Hitech<br>

- Manfrotto 3021B PRO tripod with 390RC2 head</p>

<p>I have found that this modest equipment allows me to do adequate work in the field:<br>

<a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/jkpsych/Portfolio">http://picasaweb.google.com/jkpsych/Portfolio#</a><br>

I should also note that I am typically accompanied to that field by my wife and two small daughters. Thus, I require a setup with which portability and ease of access are key. I am able to sling the Superlight 5 over a shoulder or across my back, with strapped tripod in hand, and hike essentially anywhere.</p>

<p>That all said, like anyone else, my eye is too easily caught by nice glass.</p>

<p>That Thinktank bag that KR talks of was my reason for this post. I really don't see much use in a backpack unless your taking your gear somewhere and using it there ( like a wedding or event ) so I usually go with a shoulder bag of some kind. Now I never tried one of those slingpacks like the Kata 3-1 or lowepro fastpack and I hear they are great but probably not for casual shooting, I could see that being great for hiking for which I will probably ad one someday. I think the right bag makes a big difference ( I have tried many ) I did a lot of looking and testing bags and its probably harder to choose the right bag then it is to decide on a lens or camera.</p>

<p>Thanks again everyone. It was interesting reading ( minus all the KR chatter ) </p>

<p> </p>