Online film labs?

<p>Well, I'm about to leave for a vacation in Turkey, and have packed 25 rolls of Portra to shoot. I had planned to get these processed at my local lab, but within the past month they've messed up 2 of my rolls, and am afraid to use them. Don't get me wrong, I love the guys, they just have started slacking on the film part- they told me I was one of 3 people who still brings them film...<br>

So i'm afraid of them messing up my rolls of film I shoot in Turkey, and am simply out of options. I live in Cleveland and am suspcious of the quality of all the nearby places. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with shipping film out? If so, what labs will process it and scan it fairly high quality (imacon? maybe? if I'm lucky? hehe). I understand i'll probably be droppin $200+ on this, seeing just how many rolls are being processed..<br>

Or should I just give them to the lab and hope for the best, then send out the negatives to be scanned?</p>

<p>Let me know, I'm kind of new to shooting color film and don't really know the protocols.</p>

<p>Check out MPix. You send them the film. They process it (I think they do a pretty good job), scan it, post your thumbnails online, and send you back your negatives. Then, you have several options. You can order a set of prints from them, order a CD with your scanned images, both, or be more selective and order copies of only the good ones. It's probably the most cost effective and versatile option. If you are looking for a potentially higher quality process and scan from a truly "Professional lab", including AandI and the likes for example, (that term is sometimes worthy of only its marketing effect), it will cost you a heck of a lot more than $200+. Process and scan, with a high res scan, can sometimes be over $30 per roll. In the end, unless you are planning on professional uses for your images, check out MPix. </p>

<p>Thank you so much! I think that's what I'll do. I am shooting C-41 35mm, though I do shoot 120 alot. I won't be on this trip, so I'll deal with that another time.<br>

Heres what I'll do, I think. I'll order from Mpix, and if I need anything higher, I can send the negatives and just get the frames that I really need scanned.</p>

<p>Most of these will mostly be for college portfolios. I don't really plan on doing anything majorly professional with these. It would be nice to get some prints around 20x26 on some though. Is the quality of the scan good to get that large?</p>

<p>My local pro lab, <a href="http://www.philadelphiaphotograhpics.com">Philadelphia Photographics</a> , has a mail-out service. They run a high-quality C-41 lab, and can develop and scan 35mm for $14.50. These scans are 2048x3072, compared to the 1228x1818 scans from Mpix. They also offer higher-res scans for a higher price. And shipping for orders over $150 is free. I have to say that I haven't had anything scanned by them, but they have delivered quality E-6 and C-41 processing, and excellent optical B&W and color prints for me.</p>

<p>There's only one photo lab I'd send them to... <a href="http://www.northcoastphoto.com/film_developing_scans.html">North Coast Photographic Supply</a>.<br>

They still do one job at a time and are great. Dip-n-dunk C-41, E-6, and B&W! Processing prices are very reasonable as is return shipping. They handle everything from 135 all the way up to 8x10 sheet film. Plus, for an additional $12 they give you high-res (<strong>6x7 = 5902x4815 and 35mm = 3339x5035) </strong>scans back.</p>

• 1 month later...