Photographing 1st Air Show

dloringphotos

<p>The Chicago Air and Water show is this weekend. It will be my first time attending in about 15 years, since which time I have gotten into photography more seriously. I photograph primarily macro flower work, so action photography, especially fast moving planes, is out of my element. I'm wondering if anyone has any general tips for shooting this type of event - technical, composition, etc. <br>

With respect to equipment, I don't have much choice - i.e. I have what I have. Apart from my 105mm f2.8 Sigma macro that I use for flower work, the only "telephoto" type lens I own is a Nikon 18-200 VR 3.5-5.6. Not the fastest lens, but decent telephoto range with my 1.5x mag ratio on my Nikon D200, plus the image stabilization is a benefit. Polarizer of course with the lens.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

David</p>

<p>David -</p>

<p>Personally I'd leave the Sigma at home and go with the 18-200. It will be enough to get you close to the action and can be good at the short end for getting up close and personal with the parked planes.</p>

<p>As for what to shot - Shot what interests you. There's plenty of action and interesting planes, people and other things to take photos of. Lots of bright colors. I'd recommend shooting at ISO 100 or 200 depending on the light. You should be able to get a decent shutter speed of 1/500 or more to stop the action.</p>

<p>Last time I was at an airshow I shot about 50% of planes on the ground and 50% of planes in the air. Watch the aerobatics and stunts. they're always good to get shots of. If the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds or another aero team are performing - get plenty of shots of them. They always put on a good show. Make sure to catch the ground action for the both.</p>

<p>Most of all - remember the sunscreen and have fun.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>If you can get up in one of the buildings it is pretty neat to shoot the jets as they come toward you (they're going too fast to shoot as they pass if you're in close). I used to love it when I worked in the loop, because they practiced on Friday before Saturday's show (they used Glenview NAS for staging at that time), and around 11am everybody would race to the windows to watch them pass and hear the screaming engines of the jets. Reminded me of earlier times in a different life aboard aircraft carriers during the Viet Nam war. It's always a great show, so go and enjoy! BTW, Rockford airport has been advertising their air show on 8/22-23 featuring the F22A raptor and F18s.</p>

<p>The 18-200 should cover anything you want to shoot at an air show. I'd carry an extra water bottle instead of an extra lens.</p>

<p>Practice sessions of major aerobatics teams can be easier to shoot than the main show. The crowds are smaller. The routines are sometimes different. The attached shot was a practice session aong the beach in Pensacola when they turned inland much earlier than usual.</p><div>00UCR8-164639684.jpg.9564f8c1f16badd039e8e1f47450a84b.jpg</div>

<p>David - I agree with the others on leaving the Sigma at home. Having shot the Tico Warbird airshow here in Fla. several times I would say the most important things are a polarizer, a scanner radio if you have one to hear the pilot communicating what is coming next with the tower so you are ready, and a few memory cards. As far as the shutter speed it may be good to freeze the jets but if you have a prop plane it is so nice to see a crisp shot with the propeller showing motion. Also, watch your depth of field does not get too shallow.<br>

I wish I could figure out how to post a few of my photos on here. One of my favorites is what they call a Heritage flight and they have two modern Air Force jets and a P-51 Mustang doing a flyover in formation. The P-51 is running full speed and the jets are doing everything but flying with their gear down to fly slow.<br>

Good luck and I'll be watching to see if you post any photos.<br>

Michael Fettig - ActionShotsPhotography.com</p>

<p>David - I agree with the others on leaving the Sigma at home. Having shot the Tico Warbird airshow here in Fla. several times I would say the most important things are a polarizer, a scanner radio if you have one to hear the pilot communicating what is coming next with the tower so you are ready, and a few memory cards. As far as the shutter speed it may be good to freeze the jets but if you have a prop plane it is so nice to see a crisp shot with the propeller showing motion. Also, watch your depth of field does not get too shallow.<br>

I wish I could figure out how to post a few of my photos on here. One of my favorites is what they call a Heritage flight and they have two modern Air Force jets and a P-51 Mustang doing a flyover in formation. The P-51 is running full speed and the jets are doing everything but flying with their gear down to fly slow.<br>

Good luck and I'll be watching to see if you post any photos.<br>

Michael Fettig - ActionShotsPhotography.com</p><div>00UCVn-164689684.jpg.1f4642a8eee2285bb95ffea4ca75fcd0.jpg</div>

• 4 weeks later...