half frame 35mm cameras

<p>Well, a few weeks ago I would have said Kit's Cameras does mine but now they, a division of Ritz, are closed here in Olympia. I believe that if it is a Fuji Frontier machine you can have them processed and printed(c-41 of course). If it's regular B&W I guess you'd have to find a pro lab or a friend who still processes at home. I would think any place that runs a c-41 line could soup color and then scan it to a disc and you could print what you wanted on a printer. I mostly shoot B&W and develop it myself and I still have a modest darkroom I set up in the bathroom when the weather is not too hot.</p>

<p>I used to have a Robot Royal that took square photos on 35mm film. I just mentioned it to the guys at my local lab, who are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, and it came out fine. They've managed to screw up pretty much every thing else I've given them though, so now I just shoot B&W and do it myself. As for scanning, I don't know about that one. I scanned it myself and it was a royal p.i.t.a. because my scanner (like all of them I suppose) only had the normal full frame 35mm film holders, meaning I had to take the film out about three times and turn it around to get scans that didn't cut some of the photos in half.</p>

<p>The machines don't do it automatically... the worker at the photo lab has to center each of your 36 sets of images, being sure to not repeat or skip any and making sure hes' not cropping out anything important. Yes there is some crop, which will be present BOTH on scans and prints and is caused because of the space between the negatives... so a little off the left side of the first image and a little off of the right side of the second image of each set. And remember that this crop is on top of the "typical" crop which all labs do to all negatives so that the image "bleeds" to the edges. If you DO go to a minilab to have half-frames processed it is imperative to ask them to NOT cut the negs. Every 1hr lab I've been to carries a stock of empty film cans that they will gladly roll your film into. The last thing you want is for some teenager who is not paying attention to just slide your negs into the cutter and start slicing willy-nilly as if it's an automated process.</p>

<p>Ask for it to be sleeved rather than cut and you should get it back in a long, protective sleeve. You can then cut them yourself and put them in negative sleeves. I regularly have E-6 film (now that Kodachrome is no longer an option) processed in this fashion with the rolls from my stereo camera. Using print film will, as Patrick stated, reslut in minimal loss of print area, but as long as you can speak to the person running the machine you should be fine.</p>

<p>- Randy</p>

I think Randy is on the right track. They can even cut it as long as they cut between (half-) frames. Then scan it yourself and finish it off digitally.

(I'm guessing that if you're not doing your own darkroom work, you don't care whether the post-processing is analog or digital.)

--Marc

<p>Thank you all for your considerate replies. I was strongly tempted to purchase an Olympus Pen FT but after doing more research decided not to. It was a body only deal, and I would have the problem of learning about and finding suitable lenses.</p>

<p>I have about 150 classic cameras and decided to pass on this one. Your help is greatly appreciated.</p>