Becoming a weekend photographer

<p>Hi,<br>

I've been photographing as hobby for 4 years now and I also now have FF camera and some pro lenses. I want step into it professionally and part-time. Just weekends and maybe evening.<br>

I was wondering I could get advice from other people who have done the same.My main interest currently is engagment photography, and portraits. I would also eventually get into wedding photography.<br>

1. What is the best way to build up the portfolio?<br>

2. Is it worth working for free for couple of weeks for random people to build your portfolio? Should I charge some minimal amount?<br>

3. What are first few steps in getting business started? Portfolio and Website? I plan on getting fully operational by next year. <br>

I know this is probably the most often asked question, but I didn't find any ones revelant to me.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Darren</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've been reading the some of the thread in this forum. I plan on giving the clients CD with original images and also post it on my website/flickr. I was planning on using the normal model release. But I'm seeing stories of people misusing picture from flickr.<br>

5. Does anyone have a model release form that covers all this that I could use?<br>

Thanks again..</p>

<p>There's so much money to be made from the sale of product, even in these tough economic times. Giving away the files right off the bat doesn't seem like such a smart idea.<br>

For your portfolio, why not do the shoot for free and provide your subjects with a wall portrait or a small package and then a generous discount (perhaps 50%) on anything else they'd like to order?<br>

Remember, this is a referral business. Even if you're only shooting for your portfolio, all the details spread to their friends. Don't dig a hole you can't get out of....-Aimee</p>

<p>Darren -<br>

First thing to do is to put together a business plan and create a business as a legal entity. Rules / laws for this vary by state, but in most it is pretty simple.</p>

<p>Second - obtain funding and buy your equipment. If you are funding the business make sure to document the money that you put into the business vs your personal finances. Open a separate bank account for you business and keep the fiances away from your personal ones.</p>

<p>Third - while "giving away" work may be a good way to build a portfolio quickly - it doesn't pay the bills nor does it put food on the table. Look around and see what pros in your area charge and go on the low side. Advertising "Free" photos is a good way to get the pros made at you. They are trying to make a living at this and need the revenue. Charge something in my opinion, even if it's cost. The second reason for this is that people may see your "Free" ad today but not act on it for months...then when they do - all of a sudden you're not free anymore.</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Dave is very wise, reread his post a couple of times. Especially the stuff about business, permits, taxes, and accounting. He didn't mention insurance. Get some, but don't be "over insured". Find out from some local pros what they carry. Don't be surprised if it takes a year or two before you start seeing something that even remotely resembles "profit". This isn't a "turn on the money machine" field...</p>

<p>As Dave points out, don't get the local pros mad at you. You need to network with theses people so that you can have someone who will take a session for you if you're out sick (and will throw one your way if they're out of commission). In professional photography, <strong>the show must go on.</strong> Speaking of which, make sure your equipment budget includes sufficient backup equipment so that your own show can always go on, even if you drop your body and favorite lens into the stream at Millrace.</p>

<p>A couple of weeks of free "random people" is going to get you wome incredibly "not photogenic" people. It sounds like a paradox, but you will have customers out there who assume that "you get what you pay for", and the ones who come looking for free shoots will most often be the folks that balk at $9.95 at the Sears or WalMart studios. If one shoot in 20 yields something you want in your portfolio, you're wasting enormous amounts of time.</p>

<p>By all means, do some free shoots to built your portfolio, but do the "two stage method".</p>

<ol>

<li>Use and abuse friends and family. You don't need 20 "iffy" people, you need 4 good looking ones. That doesn't mean "modelesque", but it does mean people who can look composed, attentive, and even (dare I say it) happy for the duration of a shoot. People who will dress well for you. That's where you get enough stuff into your book to go after stage 2.</li>

<li>Use the local aspiring models who will work TFP (TFCD, whatever). These models aren't going to be Vogue or Elle class, but they're going to be a cut above the average, and you can also find some aspiring makeup artists who will also work TFP. Some of these will become your "regular" makeup artists, and that's a service that you advertise you offer (I even show clients "with" and "without" makeup artist shots). The aspiring model will also put up with more on a shoot, as far as waiting while you fuss with lights, etc... </li>

</ol>

<p>If you're doing this on a site like Model Mayhem, assume another identity. That way, if "Dart Skillful" (an assumed name, for illustration only) has acquired a reputation among the local aspiring model community as a "free shooter", you just "kill him off" and it won't really interfere with the business of "Fine Art Portraits by Darren Sukul". Odds are your high school seniors, newly engaged, etc. customers aren't the local aspiring models, or even in the same social networks. The local pros probably won't notice that you killed off "Dart", and even if they notice, they won't really care, because he wasn't a problem in the community...</p>

<p>That aside, I hate to throw stones at someone else's dream (especially considering the cornball nature of several of my own business ventures), but I can't think of any business model worse than "weekend photographer". The combination of proliferation of equipment, proliferation of knowledge (how many web sites full of good information?), and proliferation of need (the 88% who are still employed are in fear for their day jobs). It worked great 10 years ago, but theses days you're competing against a sufficient number of "unemployed" GWC ("guy with camera", important initialism to remember) types who can meet a client during business hours. Look at other photographer's websites. Try to figure out who's the GWC, and what you're going to have to do differently to make yourself stand out from the GWC crowd.</p>

<p>You've also selected a customer base "engagement pics" that's the "loss leader" item for professional wedding photographers. They don't "give it away", but they do typically do engagement sessions at less profit than the actual wedding. And they hit hard: "50% off engagement session" coupons in the wedding magazines and at shows...</p>

<p>I'll toss out a business model that I've seen working, that might be compatible with your hours, is the "Day in the Life" photographer. This seems to work for both seniors and for weddings outside the scope of the business of the standard wedding photographer (Maybe it's just my local community, but the wedding photographers don't seem to embrace change, and "new, cool stuff" comes from outside the business. A lot of them just seem to want to follow the same program, over and over, forever). It's more time for the photographer, and more location work than a lot of us are used to, but it can be fun.</p>

<p>Darren, I would say <em>diversify what you do. </em> Especially in these tough times. I have five businesses I run, but I try to do all of them well. It takes awhile to get there, but if I'm not into photography, I'll do software development or social media work. You will also find some businesses pull you toward the money at various times. Right now I'm full bore into photography, but having a toolkit of skills has always served me and kept food on the table. You not only could do weekend/evening photography, I think you should seriously consider it.</p>

Darren,

<p>

As someone that turned their hobby (not photography) into a career, I have a couple of suggestions:

<p>

First, these guys posting suggestions above are sharp, they've given good advice.

<p>

Second, don't hurt your day job. Can't stress this one enough. In these times, you don't want to do things like miss work to take a second job, or work on your second job during your primary job. Goes along the lines of the fable of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

<p>

Third, you can't compete with walmart or sears. You need to have higher quality, higher price, and probably a niche of some sort.

<p>

Fourth, keep your overhead low. Recurring monthly expenses and interest kill a lot of new businesses.

<p>

The advantage that you have is time. You can make decisions based on what will improve your skill and quality now, you don't have to worry about trying to make a profit. That's a huge advantage. Trade time for knowledge, figure out how to get better at whatever you do, every time you do it.

<p>

Final thought - Give some consideration to the concept that you may end up destroying your hobby to make a new career for yourself. I'm happy with the decision I made, but not everyone has the same fortune. Best of luck!

<p>Darren,<br>

I'm also a 'part time' photographer. I do it because I love it but cannot afford to lose my real job that pays for benefits. I also just started about a year ago. These guys are giving you great advice. I'm attending workshops that offer the knowledge I need to develop my own style and also the models to shoot for my portfolio. I love the workshops because I get to network with other photographers in my area who have offered great support. Network, network, network.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>Forgot to mention: Not a good idea to offer your work for free. It will devalue you as photographer. If you believe you are a photographer and have the skill to be a great one, price your work where you want to be. But offer discounts! Great advice I was ever given at a workshop. Offer free photo sessions with the purchase of a print package or album.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>

<p>Offering work for free is quite a temptation. It fits our "need" from our viewpoint (poor photographers think who wouldn't want a portrait to keep and cherish forever and for free is better yet since I can't afford to have a high priced photographer do the session.) It's a mindset based on our own unique set of circumstances and thinking that everyone has the same set of circumstances. <br>

Two pieces of advice were given to me during my career of 41 years in photography. 1. Free has no value and 2. Don't spend other people’s money.<br>

<br>

The first is commonly seen when you receive a free catalog in the mail. Look at the cover and you'll see a price setting the value of the catalog. They have just paid postage to send you a catalog. You don't recognize (ignore) the postage paid but the catalog has a price on it therefore they just gave you a thing with value spelled out. Chances are you'll still think of it as free. On the other hand if you paid for the catalog and there was a coupon inside offering twice what you paid as a discount on any purchase made from the catalog you actually would save money by buying from the catalog (making it better than free). Most likely you would remember the catalog cost you something but they gave you a great deal. Free has no value and it devalues the one who offered it free (you are setting your value as zero).<br>

When I'm in a premier showing (my name for a sales session the first time a client sees their images and buys) I do not know what the client’s financial picture looks like. I've had people drive up in old Chevy’s and they come in not dressed well yet end up buying a 20X24 wall portrait I value at over $800. I've also had clients drive up in Escalades and buy a $285 package. I know the more well-to-do client can certainly afford more but the value to them isn't there. Don't spend their money. Your passion for photography must come through in the image, in your rapport with the client and in your customer service. If you are excited about your work and you show it they will buy and you are much less likely to have bridezillas for clients. If you are low priced you are working in an arena where everyone thinks low priced and cheap and they most likely will have to hassle the merchant to get a deal. Give them a deal right off the bat then sweeten the deal with great customer service and reward the behavior you want them to repeat.<br>

A very wise photographer once said to me<strong> </strong> "Make your work so<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} -->irresistible that people just have to buy then once they are crying for you, set your volume of work by the price you charge." That means figuring out marketing and referrals so you are irresistible, very little is your pictorial quality.</p>

To get started, for your portfolio, why not do the shoot for free and provide your subjects with a wall portrait or a small package and then a generous discount (perhaps 50%) on anything else they'd like to order? Then do presales such as Free shoot if you pay up front for a package.<br /> <br />

</p>