Which EOS film bodies don't drain battery during long exposures?

todd_caudle

<p>Hi all, I remember seeing on here somewhere a list of EOS film cameras that do not use any battery power in bulb mode for long exposures (star trails, etc.), but couldn't relocate where I saw it. Can anyone tell me which bodies have this capability? TIA!</p>

<p>I used to have an EOS 3 and I don't think it drained batteries during long exposures for the same reason as the 1v. I am not 100% sure on this. One thing was for sure though... the bloody thing drained batteries when it was switched off and in a cupboard. It used to go through a 2CR5 every fortnight.</p>

<p>The 6xx series cameras that Douglas listed are (to my knowledge) the only EOS cameras that do not require power to hold the shutter open in bulb mode. The 630 is the best of the bunch for anyone who does not need the high performance of the RT, but you might not care about its advantages over the 620 and 650 (faster film transport and better flash metering). The fixed pellicle mirror of the RT costs you some light and is therefore not best suited to astro use.</p>

<p>If you decide to get one, the achilles heel of these cameras is a sticky shutter caused by the breakdown of a rubber stopper on the bottom of the shutter blade.</p>

<p>I can tell from experience that EOS 5 does use power to keep shutter open but EOS 3 does not. (Although I've heard that EOS 3 actually uses some minuscule amount of energy during the exposure anyway, but so small that you can't really notice it unless you do multi-month exposures.)</p>

<p>I agree with the assessment of the EOS 10/10s. And not just for the link to my site. :) It's a great camera for long exposures - the only drawback being its annoying manual interface. It doesn't have a wired socket unfortunately, but it works great with the RC-1 for long exposures - mirror lockup and a 2 second countdown in bulb mode. Just check the shutter condition for black tar.</p>

<p>I've done a few star trail attempts w/my EOS 5D, and with a fully charged battery in somewhat cool mountain environments I've done 90-minute exposures plus the 90-minute dark exposure, and each time the battery has died before reaching the 3-hour mark. Not that the results are all that -- ahem -- <em>stellar</em> , but I just wanted to see what it would do.</p>

<p>Todd,<br>

You should try taking shorter exposures and stacking them in Photoshop, or similar software. I've been settling on 1 minute exposures with my EOS 5D with decent results, unless you are going for the daylight effect.<br>

Taras</p>