Harman Inkjet Matt FB MP

<p>It's a matte paper and an unremarkable one in my opinion. There are other very similar looking but cheaper matte papers available-I liked Premier Art B&W, a thin, bright paper with strong blacks but think it was replaced by a similar paper.<br>

if you like a warm paper look at Hahnenmuhle bamboo. Photo Rag is the paper most other mattes are judged by. I like Innova Smooth Cotton 315 myself and under glass it looks as dark as Harman Gloss FB Al but is totally non-reflective and doesn't get wavy over time like that glossy paper does.</p>

<p>Matte papers are quite different, good for some images, not for others. I have used nothing but glossy papers, and especially like Harman Glossy, and have been recently experimenting with the better matte papers such as Hahnemuhle Photo Rag in its many variations, and the bargain of the bunch, Moab Entrada. I've not tried the Harman Matte.<br>

It is crucial when using matte papers to soft proof on your monitor, otherwise you will be inevitably disappointed in the print. I often adjust the contrast curves in Photoshop when using matte papers. It is true, the blacks will nt be quite the same, but behind glass, they are pretty close. I do not spend time ding Dmax measurements with a reflection densitometer.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Eric</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I isn't any more "crucial" to soft proof on the monitor than it was to soft proof in the darkroom...the argument for soft proofing is that you do less testing, the argument against it is that you transfer your concerns from the print to the technology.<br>

Take a look at Crane's several versions of Museo.. in terms of image they're pretty similar...I prefer Museo II a little to Entrada Natural. I especially like the 365gsm weight, which isn't always available...<br>

The Harman papers have had trouble in the past with some printers due curvature. Try samples.<br>

I liked Hahnemeule Photo Rag but it seems to gum up rollers of some printers.</p>

<p>Zac-Soft proofing in Photoshop loads the icc profile so that you see the effect of the chosen paper on screen. For example, you can see the effect of printing on different papers, before using expensive ink and paper. I'm not sure I understand what John Kelly means by "transfer your concerns from the print to the technology." Testing with pigment prints in large sizes is an expensive extravagance. The closer I can come to what I want with the first print, the happier I am.<br>

Paper choices are extraordinarily personal. I like what I like, you're entitled to your opinion as well. Get a decent Photoshop book and or take a good course locally. It will pay off.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Eric</p>