Developer advide for HP5+

vanner

<p>i use microphen for high speed and contrast and perceptol for the reverse. ilford's pdf tech sheets available free at their website give plenty of info on development times for various films, including non-ilford films, at various dilutions and exposure indices. if you're looking for powder developers these two are hard to beat. </p>

<p>Thanks to all for your responses. I got the HP5+ for black and white street stuff. I'm going to shoot it this weekend. After all of your responses, my plan is to stick with D76 (1+1 probably). Thanks to all for you advice. For Chris - rate at 200, pull develop or use the 400 times and keep it "overexposed?" Thanks all. </p>

<p><strong>Lowell Huff </strong> said: <em>Hello Keith As far as the differences in formulas, powder to liquid, there are many chemicals (P.E.D.s) that are only in liquid form which eliminates them from the powders. The chemical science (P.E.D.s) used to make liquid formulas allows us to enhance the amount information that each emulsion has available.</em></p>

<p>Lowell, what are (P.E.D`s) and in what way do they help to enhance the amount of information on the various film emulsions?</p>

<p>"P.E.Ds" An acronym for PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS, well identified and mentioned in sports, namely steroids and other chemicals. Kieth we can add restrainers and accelerators which can manipulate the standard curve of most films. If you saw the formulas for Aerial films, which enhances the information filmed from 70,000 ft at MACH speed, to be recorded and printed. you would be amazed. We can change the tone of black from "brown to blue" and in between. Changing the contrast is very easily done. Basicly, PEDs increase latitude.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I have very good results from HP5+ processed in lazy-split D76. Put film into D-76d (modification of D-76 with Boric Acid) for 5min 21C, after this put film into 2nd batch with Sodium Carbonate 5-10g/l + Sodium Sulfite 30g/l. make very slow agitation in 2nd batch. after 3min in 2nd batch stop and fix. Advantages of this solution is the fine grain as in D-76, but sharpness and low contrast as in D-76 1+1<br>

2nd batch can be modifien as<br>

1) 10g/l Borax + Sulfite for fine grain<br>

2) 10g/l Trisodium phosphate + Sulfite for extra sharpness<br>

PS I also develop Tri-X 400 and TMAX400 same as HP5+ with very good results</p>