exhibition grade. Schewe also knows Photoshop inside and out

and knows how to get the most out of his images:

www.schewephoto.com/workshop

Reggie, Had my 2000P go south on me last Thursday night

while printing a wedding. Went Friday and picked up a 2200 to

continued printing the B&W stuff I had shot with a Leica M and

Hasselblad. Zero color cast to B&W prints from RGB files

printed as RGB on Epson Premium Luster photo paper. Very rich

blacks. Printing the Leica work at 11"X15" and it's stunning.

Haven't printed any B&W Hassy stuff yet, but did do two 13"X19"

color display prints in color from ISO 400 film that look quite rich,

with tonal gradations that rival silver based prints.

I'm geeked about the possibility of doing panoramics from my

X-pan at 13" X 44" using the roll paper option.

This printer is a leap forward for B&W printing compared to the

2000P. I also haven't tried the Matte black option on Epson

Enhanced Matte Paper yet.

Question about one of the above responses. One person said "Zero color cast to B&W prints from RGB files printed as RGB." Being very new to digital, I'm confused. Are you supposed to scan and save your black and white negatives as RGB (or convert them to RGB?) rather than Grayscale to get good B&W prints? Or was this comments about COLOR negs/chromes that are desaturated to be black and white?

Thanks.

William, I've scanned the B&W negs @ 4000 dpi both ways on a

Polaroid Sprintscan 120. When working with a neg scanned as

a B&W, I then use Photoshop in this manner: open file> go to

image on top menu> scroll to mode>sub-menu to click on RGB.

The original mono tone file will now triple in size and allow use

of channels for grain control and use of selective color controls:

go to image > scroll to adjust> to sub-menu selective color : ( I

use selective color: white; neutrals; black to affect only those

tones for B&W work on occassion).

When scanning B&W neg as a Color image, I then go to >

mode> sub-menu Mono> to clear any color cast if it exists then

back to RGB as above. If it doesn't have a color cast I leave it as

is and work on it as the original RGB file.

Where I use to print B&W on the 2000P strictly using black ink

only, this new printer allows RGB files to be printed as RGB

without the color cast that use to be so difficult to eliminate.

Yes, I have the over priced new holder. I needed it to scan X-Pan

films.

The 2200 is suppose to be archival to 80-100 years. Not as long

as the 2000P but as good as a reg. color print or better. But who

really knows?

Admendment to my previous post on this thread: I now detect a

faint green tint to the B&W prints done in RGB color space.

Initially, I had checked them out under a daylight balanced

Ott-Lite mounted over my printer and they were neutral. By

window light, they show a slight tint toward the damned green,

but nowhere near the color cast I use to get from the 2000P.

I say "use to get" because that printer died out of warranty. Hope

the prints last longer than the printer itself. There's an expense

you don't think to figure into a per print cost.

Has anyone found this printer available in the USA yet? I held off buying the 2000 because I heard this one was coming.

I find Web Sites that list prices between USD $625-699, but Availability is marked "Special Order". I also subscribed to a list at www.epson.com which is supposed to send me email when they are shipping, but I have not heard anything from them yet, either.

Thoughts?

Ernie

<p>

<blockquote><em>Has anyone found this printer available in the USA yet?</em></blockquote>

<p>

Check out Computers4Sure (<a href="http://www.computers4sure.com/">http://www.computers4sure.com/</a>). They have a "notify me when in stock" option. I enabled it, and they sent me mail as soon as they were in stock (12 printers were in when I ordered mine). They were sold out in 20 minutes. But if you act fast after receiving the mail there's a good chance you'll get one. And the perk for me was it was sent from their Stamford, CT site. I had the printer the next day just using UPS ground (in all fairness, I've been able to get the same from B&H sometimes too).

<p>

<blockquote><em>And..do you like it? How is it with black and white. What did you have before?</em></blockquote>

<p>

My previous printer was an Epson Stylus Photo 870. So I've made a leap in format size. With black and white, I've been following the steps over at Luminous Landscape (<a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/">http://www.luminous-landscape.com/</a>). However I've been using Semi-Gloss since I've not received my matte black ink from Epson (direct) yet. Overall the B&W output is great. With 5000K fluorescents, tungsten, and standard sunlight there is little or no metamerism. Even better, there's no color crossover between shadows and highlights. The only problem occurs under ghastly "warm" (office building) fluorescents, where the print picks up the nasty pinkish cast of the lights and causes the print to take on a noticable (but rather slight) light-magenta cast. My eyes notice it, but it's not horrid. And this is with Semi-Gloss, I've not tried Matte which may behave differently since the ink doesn't sit on top of the paper so much.

<p>

But check out the Luminous Landscape review as well. There's a wealth of information there that might give an even better picture.

If anyone's still listening to thsi thread, I have a couple of questions. First, I have a 2200 and it's great, both for color and black and white. I bought some Epson Velvet Fine Art and printed a b&w I had previously printed on Epson's Premium Glossy Photo Paper and Archival Matte. The print on the Velvet had a STRONG green cast (viewed under indoor light). FYI, I used the Matte Black cartridge instead of photo black and selected Epson Velvet as the paper profile. Anyone else noticed a heavy green cast on this paper, or am I doing something wrong (BTW, I followed the suggested b&w procedure on Luminous Landscape for printing w. the 2200)?

Second, the print on the Velvet Fine Art using the Matte Black ink had what appeared to be dark streaks from the rollers. They can't be dirty already -- I just got the printer 3 days ago. None of the prints with the Premium Glossy or Archival Matte had this problem (even the ones I printed after switching back to the Photo Black ink). Is there some special cleaning or "purging" procedure I need to do when I switch to the Matte Black cartidge to avoid this?

Third, I really like the substantial feeling of the Velvet Fine Art; I was not particularly impressed with the "feel" of the Archival Matt (although the print looks great). The Velvet feels like a sheet of double-weight wet darkroom paper; the Archival Matte feels somewhat flimsy -- about the same as the Premium Glossy. If this green cast on the Velvet is inherent in the paper, does anyone have suggestions on other papers that have a similar weight and feel?

(I realized that this will be less of a problem once the prints are mounted, but until then I'd prefer a more substantial paper that will be less prone to damage).

Thanks.

The only thing I can suggest is about the dark streaks. Since Velvet is such a thick paper, I believe you have to adjust the paper path to accomodate this thickness and the paper has to be loaded from the back of the printer via the sheet feeder. And if you're using OS X you're SOL since the driver can't handle that paper at all. If you send Velvet through and the path is still set for paper with half the thickness you're likely to get problems with the rollers pinching too hard.

I've not used this paper (mostly since I can't until I get 10.2) so I can't elaborate any more than that.

I'm not sure what the procedure would be then to clean up the image with the Velvet paper. At this point I'm sure the only suggestions I could make would be even less helpful than Epson's tech support.

Have you tried the Digital Imaging forum over at Luminous Landscape yet? There might be somebody there that's seen this before as well.