Nikkor 200mm Micro/Macro: AF v. Manual Focus

aubrey

<p>

<p>No question, a new Nikon 200mm F4 D ED-IF AF Micro Nikkor would be a great lens for my close up bug work. But if I don't really need the auto focus, why not get a used Nikon 200 mm F4 AI Micro Nikkor?<br>

Optically, is the Nikon 200 mm F4 AI Micro Nikkor equal to the Nikon 200mm F4 D ED-IF AF Micro Nikkor?<br>

Thank you.</p>

</p>

<p>I have never seen the specs on the mf version, but the 2:1 sounds correct to me. I used to own this lens if it takes 52mm filters and has a built in lens hood and a removable tripod collar mount. It also mates with the Nikon 14B and Nikon 301 teleconverters. This can be an advantage to you if you have these 1.4x and 2x tcs or like adding tcs to your macro lenses. It takes very sharp pictures. It is easy to use and I really liked the way it focused. It is easier to focus manually than the AF version. (There are various versions of this macro lens as I recall so be careful which one you buy.)<br>

The AF version is a longer and much heavier lens; i.e it has the extra length built into it that gets you from 2:1 to 1:1.<br>

If you get the mf version, buy the Nikon PN 11 tube, a 52mm extension tube. By adding that tube (extra length) , you will get to 1:1 or thereabouts. If you do get the mf version of the lens, DO NOT use Kenko extension tubes with it. They will work, but because they are narrower in diameter than the Nikon tubes you are likely to get vignetting in all of the images taken with them with this lens. I know this from first hand experience.<br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>I have the manual focus and waited to go digital until the D200 came out and actiually waited til the D300 came out to buy. I waited mostly because I wanted to keep the 200 micro MF. The MF does NOT work with all digital camera bodies for metering etc. So check carefully before you buy that you won't have compatibility problems with what you intend to do, look for an AI mount on the body you use. I even had truble with the last film body I bought, think it was a N80. Check twice before plunking down the $$$</p>

<p><em>Thanks for the replies. What confuses me to no end is that they both are 200mm and both focus to about 20", yet the AF spec says 1:1 and the manual specs at 1:2. </em></p>

<p>The 200/4 AF Micro lens has internal focusing (IF), which works in part by shortening the focal length. At the closest distance, the focal length has been reduced to about 160 mm. This is true for the other AF Micro lenses, the 60 and 105, whereas the older AIS lenses focus mainly using an extended mechanical helix. CRC is used in some AIS lenses, which uses moving elements in order to get better results at both normal and close ranges, but does not have the same effect on focal length as IF.</p>

<p>I have the 200 manual and use it on Canon Digital bodies as well as my F3's. Have no problems with quality. It is lightweight and easy to use and the extra working distance is wecome most of the time.<br>

It works well, the images are sharp and have good contrast. The newer one may be a bit better, I don't know from personal experience because I have never used the newer AF model.<br>

If possible, go to a solid camera shop and shoot a few images through one or both to do a comparison. That should help you make the decision.</p>