Julius Shulman

john_galuszka

<p>Julius Shulman passed away a week or so ago. He was 98. Although architectural photography is not my area of interest, I knew of and admired Shulman's work. One thing I have not seen, and would like to know, is what equipment he used for his photos. (I know he used a 4X5 and Schneider Keuznach lenses for some work--but which camera? which lenses?) </p>

<p>Can anyone list the hardware he used to take his often-spectacular photos?</p>

<p>Aside: Yes, I know that a great photographer can take amazing photos with mediocre equipment (the "Migrant Mother" photos, for example) and rich people with the best equipment usually just take banal shots ... but if someone with great vision uses good equipment, then the chance for a spectacular shot is increased, so I am always interested in knowing what the best photographers use.</p>

<p>Aside#2: I build my own cameras, but my most spectacuar photo was the lucky result of having one of those cameras (a 6X12 with a 50mm lens) in the right place (standing in the middle of a Big Sur stream) at the right time (when a very good looking blonde happened to step into the frame!)</p>

Thanks for posting this John. Julius was a huge inspiration to me when I was just starting out with my first photo business, doing architectural and aerial photography. His work was stunning. He used Sinar P view cameras, which I could not afford at the time, but moreover, he was the first one I knew of that was using models and superb lighting for his shots. I think he also used Hasselblads. Look for a film on him. Dustin Hoffman narrated it, as I recall.

<p>I've got his how-to book, and he has several photos in it of his Sinar Norma. The book was originally published in 1962, so he may have switched to a P later on. He also discussed the 'blad quite a bit. He stated that he was a big fan of the 120mm perspective, but stated that a 90mm was an important classic. He also mentioned the 150mm.</p>

<p>Hi Guys,</p>

<p>Shulman and I were quite good friends, especially when I was with Calumet and Celestron in California (some of the 60's and 70's). I used to write for The Rangefinder in those days and he would nag me about writing about him. He would tell me that I should write about him every month! If you knew Julius he had a great hostile sense of humor and he would hang out at Calumet with me back in the LaBrea St. days. He was a truly terrific architectural and commercial photographer and lab guy, and we would argue endlessly without ever being upset. I would often describe him in in publishing and the "Self Confessed World's Greatest Photographer". He was darned near that good.</p>

<p>Lynn </p>