D40, SB 600 part deux!

macadoodledo

<p>First of all thanks to everyone who answered my previous question.<br>

My next question revolves around the SC-29. At 3' it seems a little limited in length. Can anyone recommend a longer lead or some sort of alternative solution. If I attach my SB 600 to a stand 3' is a little impractical.</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>Jon</p>

<p>I think if you want to do more complicated lighting setups with CLS then you'll need either an SU-800 or a camera with commander mode. Or you can get a set of Pocket Wizards (which are more reliable than CLS, but I don't know if they do TTL).</p>

<p>Or a longer cable. There are 3rd party ones (Adorama house brand for example) in longer lengths and less expensive than Nikon's.</p>

<p>Your other options are the SU-800 (which is expensive), an SB-800 (it's a flash, and it's also a commander - it can control an SB-600 remotely) or selling your D60 and buying a higher end model (D80 or D90).</p>

<p>Okay guy, thanks for that. The tide seems to be turning towards either the SU 80 or the SB 800 but see little value in the former when I can get an extra flash for £50 more. But just to check...the SB 600 can only be triggered by the SB 800 flash going off? I am trying to do some family portraiture where I want side on light only and am worried that if the SB 800 goes off face on it will restrict my creativity.</p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Jon</p>

<p>I'm not an expert on Nikon's system but with other similar systems (Pentax is the one I'm familiar with) the on-camera flash can be used as 'master' or 'controller', where controller only emits a low-level burst with relatively little impact on exposure. This can be mitigated further by bouncing the commander flash up or even backwards. Could probably be squelched even further with some sort of filter, though I'll let someone with more Nikon-specific experience make that recommendation.</p>